Thyroid UK
84,046 members99,034 posts

Nutrition

Hi everyone,

I hope you are well. I am finding a lot of conflicting information regarding foods.

Has anyone got any advice on particular foods to eat/avoid, I have cut out 'goitrogenic foods' based on the informatiin in a book I bought and there seems to be conflicting info on whether eggs, fish and spinach are ok which I eat a lot of...

Thank you in advance

11 Replies
oldestnewest

It's hard to tell, isn't it, with all the conflicting advice!

I still eat goitrogenic foods such as broccoli etc but make sure they are cooked, which is supposed to reduce their goitrogenic effects a lot.

With all the conflicting advice I personally have come down on the side of all things in moderation... And also trying to improve my digestion by taking kefir and probiotics.

4 likes

Thank you, I feel like there needs to be a good clear book somewhere!

I know the feeling! But even the "thyroid experts" seem to disagree.... I think there are so many possible other health factors that can kick in when you have thyroid problems that perhaps it's hard for there to be just one right approach. So confusing and frustrating!

1 like

I agree!!

One thing I definitely make sure I eat a lot of is fats (just not polyunsaturated or hydrogenated). All the hormones in the body need a good supply of fats, and the brain needs fats. And boy does my brain need fats! ;-)

2 likes

I will carry on with my egg eating then! : )

2 likes

R120,

You don't need to avoid any foods other than unfermented soy/soya. You would have to eat a ton of goitrogenic food before it would slow your thyroid production.

It's more important that you eat a well balanced diet than worry that a serving of kale or strawberries is going to affect your thyroid levels.

4 likes

Thank you : )

1 like

It is a snaggy one! I cut out my beloved sprouts, spinach, caulis and broccoli then you hear cooking them makes them fine so I started eating them again and feel better for it. I heard beetroot was good for blood pressure and mine has gone just over 144/70 after being low for ever previously. I golloped down some juice and started feeling really nausea, throat was suddenly sore and I had to run to the loo 😳 I though mmm this is strange am I allergic to them or what? Looks like I might be as those are classic symptoms. Now I am afraid to eat them cooked ☹️ Going gluten free has been beneficial and deffo cutting out soya as advised by Clutter. I think it is a case of trial and error a lot of the time to find foods that suit.

1 like

Thank you, thankfully I have been gluten free for years because I was getting throat symptoms which got better after cutting out gluten but I guess I'm just going to have to monitor things

I think if you fancy it and it goes down with no adverse reaction it should be ok - our bodies tell us what they need and complain if it is not right.

1 like

You may also like...