Thyroid UK

Anxiety/heightened symptoms

Hi everyone,

I hope you are well. I have noticed since I became unwell that I experience heightened symptoms and anxiety at particular times of the day.

These seem to be in the afternoon and evening, I had my cortisol tested and the only time my cortisol was high was in the morning, I have also changed taking my medication to the evening and still experience the same symptoms at the same times of day.

Does anybody else experience this, or have any tips for dealing with these moments?

Thank you in advance

x

12 Replies
oldestnewest

Sounds like it has something to do with a body clock switching on hormones, you might find possible candidates with a search of what switches on when.

When I was really bad with untreated hypo at around 7pm I would start to itch and it would become excruciating I would scratch until I bled, mainly on shins but also back, arms and more. At first I though it was things I was eating, excluded everything I still got it, then I blamed it on fleas on the dogs - they didn’t have any fleas, then it was dust mites, I got the dyson on the case, then I blamed my other half causing it with some skin microbe he had that was making me itch - I had rather gone off my trolley by this time and came up with ridiculous explanations for my affliction that seemed completely plausible at the time. Later I realised it must be a hormone being switch on by a body clock and causing some sort of reaction hence the intense regular as clockwork itching - it is even there in that phrase. It is quite interesting when things go wrong through hypothyroidism but not a lot of fun to be on the receiving end.

I have problems with anxiety but not sure if it has a time related pattern

2 likes

Hi TSH 110,

Thank you for your reply, i'm sorry to hear about those itching symtoms! That is interesting though, maybe it is due to my hormones releasing at those times, I also get very teary at almost exactly the same time every day.

1 like

R120 I had a search for papers on it and it is a very complex series of chemical cascades that set the clocks and they are in every cell of our bodies from what I can gather with daylight seeming to set the master clock which in turn starts off the cascades. It was very scientific stuff. interestingly, cortisol does appear to have two spikes a day and it is important for fight or flight and a lot of other things so may be it is that one being over activated giving you the anxiety attacks. I could not find more precise timings for its daily rhythm. Small wonder we get all sorts of problems with hypothyroidism as all these delicate mechanisms get horribly disrupted by hormone imbalance with too little being made by the thyroid. It explains the feeling of utter chaos one experiences. I could not sleep till 6am when I should have been getting up. I would fall asleep in the day given half a chance. My moods were all over the place crying one minute, in a rage the next then suddenly feeling calm again and thinking that was a bit odd but just accepting it as normal, simply ignoring it then continuing to try to get through the day as best I could. When they eventually diagnosed me (huge relief as I thought I was a crazy hypochondriac despite the number of times I asked could it be thyroid related because of a strong family history of it and was told it was the menopause and the thyroid question was ignored - no tests no detailed questions about my symptoms, nothing. But the menopause ended and the crazy stuff continued to worsen so it could not be argued it was the menopause anymore) I though blimey we are nothing more than a bunch of hormones, they determine everything about us and if they go wrong we are completely lost.

1 like

Yes, I completely agree I never realised how much of a role our hormones play in our personality/wellbeing!

1 like

R120 Quite. It may have been a truly horrible experience, but it was an advanced bit of practical medical education and a steep learning curve esp as condition gained momentum!!

1 like

Yes, I guess thst's how I should see this, through all the ups and downs (mainly downs) I am learning an incredible amount about something very complex/important in our human body : )

1 like

It's a pity the people who should know all the 'ins and outs' of thyroid hromones don't understand it themselves. The Professionals.

2 likes

I agree! Since I have been reading about/discussing this disease, it appears the amount of money and pain people have to go through to understand/treat their disease because the professionals don't want to consider more than one treatment is awful.

3 likes

shaws ...and refuse to listen to and learn from those who have first hand knowledge and experience of the condition - small wonder they leave a lot of people poorly whom they could actually help to recovery. It is a poor show - chasing money and kudos with no real passion for their subject or promoting good health in their patients.

2 likes

R120 It helps to get through the hard times if you empower yourself with knowledge - thank goodness this site exists I was lost without it...then I discovered it & joined up - a life saver!

1 like

I am on 75mcg per day Levathyroxin but recently had a real bad dose of the flu that is going round, it ended up on my chest and has gone on for weeks. I too have started to feel anxious and depressed, although I have been a long term sufferer with Anxiety and depression I don't give in to it , I have to say though this time it is taking all my resolve to get out of bed at the minute. I am just praying that it passes

1 like

I sincerely hope you recover soon!

You may also like...