Thyroid UK
87,812 members102,493 posts

Newly diagnosed - results help

Hi everyone,

I hope you are well. I have recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have just started Levothyroxine 50microgram.I have been given my results and need a little help understanding them,

TSH - (14) - mIU/L 0.27 - 4.2

FT4 - (12.9)- pmol/L 12.0 - 22.0

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody - (12) - IU/mL 0-34

Is my antibody result and FT4 result normal?

Thank you in advance

x

4 Replies
oldestnewest

Antibodies are low so that's good. There are two sets of antibodies associated with underactive thyroid it is common for nhs to only test one.

Tsh is over range and ft4 is low in range which is why you have been prescribed levothyroxine. You should have a repeat blood testis 6 weeks and a dose adjustment in 25mcg increments till your tsh is in the 0.2 to 1.0 range.

Take your levo on an empty stomach with only water. No food or other drinks for an hour after if you take any suppliments leave two hours.

When it comes time for your next blood test we usually aim for the earliest time possible and only have water before the test, take your levo after test. This just between us patients medics don't agree.

You should have also had tests for vit d, vit b12, ferretin and folate as they are often low in hypos.

Thank you so much for this info : )

Antibodies below limit so don't indicate autoimmune thyroid disease aka Hashimoto's. However, besides TPO antibodies there are TG (Thyroglobulin) antibodies which it's useful to test because you can ge negative for TPO but positive for TG which would indicate Hashi's. NHS doesn't test them but you can do them privately with Medichecks or Blue Horizon with a fingerprick test at home if you want to be sure.

Your FT4 is far too low in range, it should be in the upper quarter.

TSH is way over range so you still have a long way to go with your dose, most of us Hypos feel best when it is around 1 or below.

As Greybeard has said, retesting/increasing dose should be done every 6 weeks until your results are where they need to be for you to feel well.

Thank you! Will loook into getting further antibodies tested : )

You may also like...