Thyroid UK
85,719 members100,651 posts

for the ladies with hairloss

i have asked for HRT but i am refused - its dangerous and it wont grow hair- ok-- so what else is dangerous- depression from hairloss and the pyscho drugs given? stress related illness becaus eof haiirloss-- i found this interesting site and as my friend said-- what about trans people- they are given HRT and sure enough their male to female hair grows..

perfecthairhealth.com/trans...

24 Replies
oldestnewest

So sorry to hear about your ongoing hair loss. You have had a rough ride. How are you? Have they/you sorted your thyroid meds now? Have you been referred to a dermatologist re your hair loss?

Cant comment on the trans people... though its an interesting point.

I also suffered hair loss. Mine is permanent but is not related to hormone imbalances.

My husband was transgendered (I say “was” because she died 18m ago, not because she changed her mind :) ).

So I do feel qualified to talk about this one.

The thing is, transgendered folk do tend to be prescribed oestrogen etc because the medical profession know they’ll get their hands on the pills anyway - just like we source our own T3 and NDT, the transgendered community are excellent at informing each other where to get hormones. And it’s fairly standard to get it prescribed once you’re brave enough to approach a doctor, although if you think GPs have difficulty prescribing for thyroid issues, transgender misunderstanding blows that out of the water. The sympathetic GP (of which there are very few in my experience) understand that suicide is the likely alternative to being prescribed hormones. The unsympathetic GPs decide that people who are “mentally deranged enough to want to change their gender” don’t matter anyway and prescribe the hormones because it doesn’t matter if they have detrimental effects - they take the view that the transgendered patient only has themselves to blame...

Because prescribing oestrogen does have known side effects, besides the obvious benefits to transgendered folk, like growing breasts, softer skin (very important to my husband) and hair. My Kate always had better hair than me anyway. :) Oestrogen, quite simply, raises the risk of cancer - in men and women. But it doesn’t seem to be all that easy to predict the risk, hence the minefield around HRT for menopausal women in general.

GPs tend to take a more cautious approach around prescribing oestrogen and HRT for women simply because more research has been done. Far less research has been done on the long term effects of prescribing it for transgendered folk - but as I said, most would still take oestrogen anyway because the anguish caused by being in the wrong body outweighs concerns about cancer risk.

10 likes

This is pretty regular occurrence in the UK, GPs refusing HRT even though newest literature and trials dismiss previous health scare reports. They're yet to catch up. 🤔

Ask for menopause clinic referral. Then arm yourself with the list of menopause symptoms and you will most likely be prescribed HRT from there.

I was in similar situation (not the hair issue though) and went private, online route to source my HRT 1st. A lot of trans people have to source privately too believe or not.

At the same time, I requested referral to menopause clinic, which I got and was prescribed HRT there. But they were only willing to prescribe older type of HRT (?!) which I'm not keen on due to my younger age and better options available - as I want to take the newest, 4th, generation so I continue to source it privately.

So you have two options: go private/online route- which for me is the best as no-one interfere with my meds and I don't have GP or nurse nagging me or the menopause clinic.

1 like

Do you have regular blood tests? Or do you go by 'symptoms' for dosing?

I'm taking combined pill as an HRT, which overwrites my natural sex hormones completely and there is standard manufactured formulation: 3/2 estrogen to 2 progesterone for 26 days.

This eliminated guessing and adjusting by symptoms. My symptoms are long gone.

What blood tests do you have in mind?

I don't do any specific blood tests. Estrogen and/or progesterone tests would be false as I'm taking synthetic hormones, in the same strength for each day of my cycle, so it will always be high.

I did once checked for blood clot risk/marker to be on the safe side, which came back low.

HRT dose formulations

earlymenopause.com/informat...

1 like

My colleague started to lose her hair due to stress. Her brother was a nutritionist, and did some research to help her out. He gave her a vitamin regimen that helped her hair grow back quite quickly, so it is possible to find alternatives. It's not a replacement for HRT (as transgendered folk would take) but rather, it encourages your body to produce it's own hormones more effectively.

4 likes

I don't suppose you know what the vitamin regimen was?

2 likes
1 like

Thanks, SeasideSusie. You're a star. :)

1 like

Sorry, I don't... She wouldn't tell me either, as it needs to be personalised - hormones fluctuate through different life phases. Plus some of the vitamins can make you feel really unwell if you don't need them (like zinc).

1 like

Hey pettals This is just to let you know that the hairdresser I originally had my bonded toppers from used to help with transitioning men; the ones she saw were all having toppers fitted - so it's not necessarily the case that hair grows with HRT. Caitlin's definitely had some help, IMO :)

I remain convinced that a custom fitted vacuum wig or a topper would give you a new life...but you've probably figured out by now that I would say that, wouldn't I? :D Big hugs, missus xx

2 likes

Hi Rap, 💕,

What is a bonded topper please. Fill us in my lovely.

1 like

Hey Jose hope all's good in your 'hood ;)

Now I wouldn't recommend a bonded topper these days, but that may be because I'm much more comfortable with my hairloss and not in a place where my hair has to be atomic bomb proof for me to feel confident. I trust the brouhaha over the President's Club...largely the type of men I had to deal with on a daily basis, gives you an idea of what I had to put up with (no hands up my skirts, I hasten to add - but I was an honourary big swinging d*ck)

There will doubtless be women who still need this safe in a gale and then some solution. Basically it's something like this simplywigs.co.uk/catalogue/... if you click on the what's inside tab it shows you what's going to be side down on your scalp. Now imagine this with no clips and instead taped or glued to your ( in that shape, like a boy's yarmulke) shaved head. So it completely covers the crown and maybe the front of your hair and is cut in to match your own hair, typically in women's hair loss americanhairloss.org/women_... you don't lose the lot.

How's that chick? 😘

1 like

That's great, I read up on simplywigs yonks ago when you 1st mentioned them. 👍

They are super Rapunzle. I bought 1 Nov '16 and wear it to hospital visits ( the only place I go out to at the moment).

Got a date recently for Hip Op. 👏 NHS passed my care over to a Private Hospital.

I am happy that, at last The Op is in the pipeline, but a big part of me feels, my Goodness, why are the NHS going to pay big bucks to a Private Hospital instead of paying our nurses the pay they deserve.

Anyway, I got the scissors out a week or so ago, plonked the enhancement on the polystyrene head and cut a feathered fringe in it. Much better now. Happy Days Rap.

The thing is I have UAT for over 30 years and if I was undermedicated and that was resolved by raising the hormone replacement I could feel stubble forming and my hair would come back grand.

Vit B12 def/ PA eventually diagnosed in 2015 is what has caused my hair to become thin and there is no regrowth.

It seems to be in the 'sleeping phase'. I believe it's the stress I had after the fall.

Thank you so much for replying . ☘️👍

1 like

Well I'm glad you found something to help and at least you can eat nuts apples and baguettes with impunity now :D and have wicked hair to boot. I had a minor op in a private hospital a few months ago now, referred from the nhs...there's some overpaid manager doing a ROI somewhere so we're both still worth it - rejoice!

Lots of love, honey and hope all goes well 💐off to watch McMafia, now. Oooh dem Russians :D

1 like

👍🌹

1 like

(hope the link works)

I saved this video for my son who is losing his hair faster than he likes. Dr John Bergman on Hair Loss & what to do

1 like

thanks fo rthis video i like this guy-- i wonder what we could use as in castile soap? i hop ethis regulates hormones.. would loveto see him.

1 like

You can buy Castille soap online - I bought a large bottle on Amazon before Christmas for less than £10.

1 like

After the Loma Preita earthquake a coworker asked me if I was on chemotherapy (because of hair loss). I started eating a small bag of potato chips for lunch probably out of nervousness, & to my eyes hair loss decreased (I wasn't on chemo). It left me with this lasting impression I was oil deficient. Are you on a low fat meal plan?

We are meant to eat cholesterol or take Omega 3 supplements. Also vitamin D, possibly high dose vitamin C (water soluble so any excess comes away in urine).

Pettals,

If you've had breast cancer HRT shouldn't be taken as increasing oestrogen can cause recurrence.

Hi, I had terrible hair loss, was told it was because of menopause. I started using 'Planter 39, Tonic/shampoo/conditioner'. This is the top selling hair product in Germany, you can get it here, at Boots, Superdrug or online. My hair went so thin at one point but after religiously using these hair products it thickened up again. I know hair loss is scary, particularly for us ladies. It might be worth a try to make your hair stronger.

Also, 14 years ago I had cancer, a lump on my head for which I had radiotherapy. I lost a huge amount of hair and had a very large bald patch. My dermatologist prescribed 'Regaine', this is available in the shops now, it did help my hair grow again quickly.

I hope this gives you hope, hormones are the worst, they mess with so much, good luck to you, I do feel for you.

All the best x

1 like

hi guys- i am a complex case- i have gene expressions snps affecting hair- i don t absorb b12 i have one inject a month that i fought for i still have some hair but its getting thinner and thinner so the strands are worse than silk, not enough to do anything with, if i shaved it i would prob be bald it is so thin-- having a daft

small head i find wigs over bearing too big and too much 'hair' i look like i have obsconded from buck house guard duty! there ar etwo new drugs out but resaerchers are taking so muchtime an d the cost is tremenodous at 3500 a month so all us would never get it. jak inhibitors- tofactinib and ruxolitinib- grows back hair fast. it so frustrating.

clutter i havent had breast cancer thank the Good Lord.

rap- yes i know you would say that-- i looked up chris carter he has a method wher by people are growingbackhair he says he is resaercher, advancedhair resaerch. and i like rob perfect hair, site-- i feel i have beenneglected andnow i fear thatmy hair has go so bad its past its sell by date. all thsi crap we read about see your doctor! as if!

1 like

You may also like...