Thyroid UK

Diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer - could I have had Hypo for some time now?

I've been searching and searching the internet for answers. I was recently diagnosed with very early Thyroid Cancer (Only 1 cm in 1 nodule). I thought this was the answer to some of the symptoms I have been feeling over the last 6 months or so. I am told that it's not. That the cancer is to small for me to have had ANY symptoms at all. So now I'm baffled and still looking for answers. Here are my issues: I have had shoulder pain, neck pain and mid back pain (Center of back and up). It's not extremely painful but it's a weird feeling. I would say sometimes cold and prickly and sore. I'm thinking some sort of neuropathy. I have had this for months now and can't get any relief. I also am extremely tired, no libido, freezing all the time, dry skin, irregular periods (but I'm close to menopause). So now that I have found out that I have Thyroid Cancer, could it be throwing my Thyroid off and causing these symptoms? Once it's removed, and I'm balanced out on meds, should I feel better? I'm mainly concerned with the muscle pains/aches. Just curious if anyone else had back pain as a symptom. Thank you so much!

4 Replies
oldestnewest

Lauriemay1,

Thyroid cancer is usually asymptomatic and doesn't necessarily affect thyroid levels.

I was unequivocally euthyroid (normal thyroid levels) but I had elevated thyroid antibodies (Hashimoto's) and it was Hashi's which was causing my symptoms. I had a hemilobectomy to remove a large nodule which turned out to be malignant. Symptoms were no better after the hemilobectomy but after completion thyroidectomy 3 months later symptoms improved. I suspect it was because there was no longer a target thyroid for Hashi's to attack. I felt much better within days of surgery.

If you post your recent thyroid results and ranges I can advise whether your levels are euthyroid or hypothyroid.

Shoulder pain, neck pain and mid back pain aren't typical hypothyroid symptoms which are outlined in thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

Ask your GP to check ferritin, vitamin D, B12 and folate. Low/deficienct ferritin can cause heavy periods and 40% of thyroidectomy patients in USA are found to be vitamin D deficient. Good levels of vitD will give better surgical outcomes.

Thank you, I will be meeting my endocrinologist on Monday and will be able to get my results then. We'll see what she says. I'm kind of hoping something is abnormal, it will make me feel better to know I have found what is wrong and can finally start fixing it.

Lauriemay1,

Write a new post with the results and ranges as updates are often overlooked.

1 like

Just to say that since TT my symptoms have been helped by thyroid level adjustments.

Its my belief prior symptoms were caused by the two carcinomas I had .

1 like

You may also like...