Thyroid UK
82,575 members97,609 posts

Vitamin D

Just had a really interesting conversation with my GP surgery regarding my fultium D3. They have stopped it on my repeats so I phoned to ask why. I was told that I had finished the course and didn’t need it any more. I just had to follow a good diet and get plenty of sunshine. To this I actually laughed out loud. It’s the middle of winter and I live in the UK. I have had no blood test to check my vitamin D but previously was borderline low despite the fact I had been taking it for 4 years. It never ceases to amaze me at the powers some GPS have to know my Vitamin D is now ok. It is beyond words.

18 Replies
oldestnewest

If you have only been on 800iu it's quite likely not enough anyway

Suggest you check it

This link includes "free" vitamin D supplement

betteryou.com/vitamin-d-tes...

Or test direct via

Vitamindtest.org.uk

You want vitamin D level around 100nmol

Government recommend EVERYONE supplement between Oct and April

2 likes

Ty will have a look

That is what's happening now with NHS

They take away medications from people for whatever excuse - dumb or dumber. Some fall for it some don't.

If you manage to have it reinstated than good , if not I'm afraid you'll have to self medicate.

I'd like them to give back my obligatory NI payments as it seems it's not being used on my health treatment but on bloated salaries of useless GPs but it's a very slim chance of this happening.

5 likes

"I'd like them to give back my obligatory NI payments as it seems it's not being used on my health treatment but on bloated salaries of useless GPs but it's a very slim chance of this happening."

Oh yes!! I'd like a refund of 44 years NI contributions and whatever part of my tax goes towards the NHS now I'm a pensioner. Extremely poor return on my 'investment' and every excuse to not investigate or treat anything.

7 likes

Totally agree with you both. Please can I have my 38 years refunded but think I have 2 hopes of that. They are Bob Hope and no hope !

2 likes

So we will all be "off grid " in our next life :-) Choosing not to exist is better than being made to feel we do not exist :-)

5 likes

grassrootshealth.net/media/...

The link above takes you to a chart indicating where VitD levels need to be to prevent many serious illnesses including cancers. Well worth a look :-)

vitamindcouncil.org

4 likes

I'm doing the City Assays test twice a year now. In the autumn to prepare for winter d3/k2 dosing and again in the spring for maintenance dosing. I burn very very easily in the sun, even after the so-called short "therapeutic exposure". I read that there was a bit of a hole in the ozone layer that moved to above the UK last summer meaning more powerful UVA and UVB?

1 like

I think I will do that as well. I am fair skinned so also burn easily. That’s if we actually get any ☀️ lol.

Hehe....you are right about the sun. Always seems that the sun disappears at the weekends when people are away from work indoors and blazing away during the week when peoplem are stuck inside! I used to work in theatres and music venues pretty much 7 days a week for years and years and the only time I clocked any sun (if it was out) was in the 5 minute walk to the Tube station in the morning. :D ........I guess I have been horribly deficient for years!

2 likes

As a matter of general interest, who thinks that the NHS should pay for all our supplements, including of course the D3 in question here, and who thinks that if we can afford to do so, we should buy our own. Bear in mind that they are easily available online and in supermarkets/health shops.

Put another way, is it better to save the NHS money on items we can easily get ourselves, so there is enough in the coffers for all our truly awful emergencies that may be waiting around the corner, or do we continue on our merry way, expecting them to supply absolutely everything we shall ever need?

I had appendicitis a couple of years ago. They sorted me out. How much it would have cost in a private hospital, I dread to think. I expect you can understand how I feel if you have ever had emergency treatment yourself. I buy all my own supplements and anything that does not require a prescription. I tell myself that every time the NHS supplies a vitamin supplement, they are thinking of taking away somebody's T3. What do others think? Any views?

2 likes

I think the NHS should provide a supplement where there is a known deficiency - but of course testing needs to be done first and my surgery, possibly like some others, refused certain tests for my friend.

I've done my own private testing, found deficiencies and been happy to buy my own supplements. My friend is not in a position financially to do this.

But I do think that the NHS is unrealistic at times concerning levels, eg ferritin. Say the range is 15-150. You may be prescribed a supplement if your level is 14, but not if it's 15, yet 15 is far, far too low to be a healthy level.

I think the biggest problem people have is the way the NHS appears to waste money on too many chiefs and not enough indians, and poor 'housekeeping' in the way of paying way, way too much for certain medication rather than sourcing cheaper options, eg the current fiasco with the price of T3.

4 likes

I agree. My main beef is the fact they never told me and I had to phone to ask and then the stupid reasons they gave. I would much rather they were upfront and said we are trying to save money so we are asking people to buy own supplements. I don’t like the BS they come out with. Just tell it as it is and at least have the common courtesy to actually tell me 😀

2 likes

I just been told that the NHS not testing D3 because EVERYBODY’s level is low and I should buy some and take some! She didn’t tell me the dosage though!!!

How do I know if I am low in D3 if they don’t test it??

Mind you, this woman GP don’t seem to know anything about Thryroid either...so I will do a BluHorizon test!

1 like

It seems to me that we are going to have to start paying for a lot more as regards to our health. I don’t mind if I can afford it but where do we draw the line and what about those that can’t afford it. Seems private tests are now the way to go 🤷‍♀️

Doesn’t suprise me if your GP didn’t know much. Think your self lucky if you find one that does.

2 likes

They are scaling back on vit D tests, they say they are only allowed to test once a year now if they have good reason to. They'll be finding excuses not to test in the first place to keep numbers down too...

I sympathise with your confusion! I was told it's not worth treating my severe deficiency because it was winter (this was Nov) and my numbers will only get worse anyway...

2 likes

"I was told it's not worth treating my severe deficiency because it was winter (this was Nov) and my numbers will only get worse anyway..."

I'm gobsmacked! I wonder how well that person would function with severe deficiency and it being ignored. Unbelievable!

4 likes

I think it was meant like 'the numbers will get back to normal come summer', but I know, it was a crazy argument.

At least we can buy over-the-counter counter supplements!

1 like

You may also like...