Hi All, I've been reading the posts here but first time posting. So far this has been the most helpful resource I've found, so much appreciation for all the good info I've found here.
I was diagnosed as hypothyroid 6 weeks ago, my first test results were:
TSH - 160 (0.4 - 4)
FT4 - 3 (10 - 20)
FT3 - < 0.1 (2.8 - 6.8)
Anti-Thyroglobulin Ab - 310 (<60)
Anti-Thyroid Peroxidase Ab 5000 (<60)
vitamin D - 25 mol/L (>49)
Ferritin - 27 ug/L (20 - 290)
Vitamin B12 - 242 pmol/L (162 - 811)
Holo TC (Active B12) 49 pmol/L (>35)
Surprisingly my symptoms weren't that bad, irregular periods and a generalised fatigue going on for a little while, but over the last few months I had some unexplained weight gain, puffy eyes in the morning, muscle cramps and joint pains when doing exercise, and muscle fatigue to the point my arm was getting tired when cleaning my teeth.
Anyway, doctor put me on 50mcg thyroxine, and I have just been back for second lot of tests:
TSH - 50 (0.4 - 4)
FT4 - 13 (10 - 20)
(unfortunately FT3 didn't get tested this time, but it's ordered for my next test in 6 weeks, as is folate at my request).
GP has upped my dose to 75mcg (100 and 50 on alternate days)
I'm feeling noticeably better, puffy eyes are gone, I still get some generalised and muscle fatigue and haven't lost the weight, but have been able to go back to doing my yoga every day, and muscle cramps are definitely much less as well.
Generalised question about where I should be aiming with treatment. I understand TSH at around 1 or less, and FT4 and 3 near the top of the range, however should I aim at that even if my symptoms are gone before that? I guess I'm asking if optimal dosage is better determined by how you're feeling or what your bloods are showing? The antibodies are obviously showing autoimmune, some things I've read here imply that this is helped by suppressing TSH, so that would mean aiming for the lowest number even if I were feeling better before this?
Specific question about Vitamin D, doctor has told me to take 1000iu per day, I have bought the tablets but was thinking of taking 2000 a day instead, as reading up on it it doesn't seem dangerous to do so, and not sure that 1000 a day will increase it much? Does that seem reasonable to people here?
For the vitamin Bs, doctor wants to wait to get my folate and next TF tests back before doing anything. He did say after that we will probably look at B12 injections, but I think he wanted to focus on getting the thyroid tests within range first. He has been very open to the stuff I've said due to what I've been reading on these forums, so that's good, and once again, thanks everyone, being able to proactively get information from here has been invaluable.