Thyroid UK

Vitamin and minerals

Ferritin 21 ug/L (30 - 400)

Folate 1.7 ug/L (2.5 - 19.5)

Vitamin B12 226 pg/L (190 - 900)

Vitamin D total 28.8 nmol/L (25 - 50 vitamin D deficiency. Supplementation is indicated)

Taking 800iu vit D, waiting 12 months for second B12 injection and as a result have not resumed folic acid. Now getting sores around the corners of my mouth which folic acid sorted out. Was taking ferrous fumarate for 4 years before being referred to haematologist for iron deficiency and received infusion which was done mid 2016. Active monitoring last done by GP June 2017. No iron given. Thanks

9 Replies
oldestnewest

Have you been tested for Coeliac disease? Low levels such as yours can be symptoms as can sores around the mouth. I would ask you Dr to investigate if you have a gut absorption problem.

1 like

No how do I get tested for that?

1 like

You can ask your Dr to request a blood test. Explain that you would like to know why the levels are low and could Coeliac antibodies be tested. Have a look at the website Coeliac Uk for more information. They are very helpful if you contact them

Ferritin is direly low ...b12 also far too low are you taking other meds because something is blocking absorption ..are you gluten free ?

1 like

Hi I didn't know I had to be gluten free

Not everyone has to be gluten free but it does benefit a lot of Hashimotos patients ...strangely my Hashimotos husband has no problem with gluten yet our Hashis daughter and grandaughters are all gluten intolerant

I would ask your Dr to investigate why levels are low before going gluten free as the test might not give a true result if you are already gluten free.

For the blood test to show antibodies you must be consuming gluten - see Coeliac UK.

Make an urgent "on the day" appointment with any GP

Insist on B12 injection before Christmas. You may need several over consecutive days

You could put in letter of complaint that been waiting a year

Ask on PAS healthunlocked

healthunlocked.com/pasoc

Then folic acid can restart

Ferritin you need full iron panel, and iron infusion

Plus will need supplements everyday. If you like liver eating once a week will help improve levels too

Vitamin D 800iu is not enough for a mouse

Ask for loading dose. That is at least 5000iu daily

Retesting after 2-3 months. Looking for level to rise to around 100nmol

You are just 3 points away from serious deficiency despite taking supplements

See you local CCG guidelines.

Eg Oxfordshire ones here

oxfordshireccg.nhs.uk/profe...

Hashimoto's requires high dose, GP's have little idea about how badly it affects gut

Going strictly gluten free will help heal gut, but you are very likely to need T3 reinstated.

This collapse in vitamin levels is direct result of having T3 removed

If you feel up to it you could put in letter of complaint regarding the endo that removed it

Thyroid UK are collecting evidence of malpractice due to removing clinically needed T3

Please consider sending a brief outline of this. How T3 improved you and the subsequent disaster since it was stopped. I would include the dire vitamin levels

thyroiduk.org/tuk/get_invol...

Come back after appointment and tell us how you got on

Dr Toft, past president of the British Thyroid Association and leading endocrinologist, just written brilliant article just published. You might give copy to GP

rcpe.ac.uk/sites/default/fi...

1 like

Meant to add

Here is typical list of another who had T3 stopped

See SeasideSusie detailed vitamin supplements advice

healthunlocked.com/thyroidu...

On high dose vitamin D you will need to take magnesium and vitamin K2 (mk7)

BTA advice for patients

british-thyroid-association...

You may also like...