Thyroid UK
89,279 members103,777 posts

Hi I was diagnosed hypothyroid 5 years ago and my endo is saying I am over medicated on 100mcg levo? Is this right? I have other ongoing issues like anxiety, fluctuating cortisol and suffering from candida, I have a 4 year long history of depression and lately my concentration has become very poor. Thank you

TSH *0.08 mIU/L (0.2 - 4.2)

Free T4 *22.6 pmol/L (12 - 22)

Free T3 4.3 pmol/L (3.1 - 6.8)

5 Replies
oldestnewest

Not very impressed with him as an expert! FT4 is allowed to be slightly over and he is likely to be worrying over a very low TSH but as a so called expert he should have looked carefully at your FT3 when he saw those results. And noticed it is low in the range. This would indicate that you aren't. Inverting the inactive T4 to the active T3 properly. He needs to look at you Fab Four vitamins and minerals Vit D, B12, folate and ferritin. These four are very helpful to your thyroid as we need them to be optimal, notvjustcin range for conversion to take place properly. So you need those to be tested, your doctor can organise that then post them for. Moments. One or more will I imagine be pretty low and you need to address this. SeasideSuie has the info about this if you look at her replies. When conversion is improved sufficiently then your DT4 reading will fall and your FT3 reading will increase as a result of that. It does take a while to do and depending how low they are it can take months rather than weeks but it's well worth the effort. Adding T3 can make you feel better but I don't think that gives you the stability that improving the conversion and its also good for some of your other symptoms that have been caused by low values.

4 likes

I agree with silverfox7 (your B12 / ferritin could easily be low if you have issues with concentration) and would also add as someone who has had all kinds of gut issues including candida that I found going gluten free (to reduce antibody levels) and mostly dairy free i.e. low lactose / casein (for gut issues and candida) really helped.

Therefore, ask to get your antibody levels tested as fluctuations in TSH (Hashi's flares) - which some doctors don't really understand and then overreact by wanting to reduce your meds - can occur when antibodies attack your thyroid. Check your diet for sources of selenium (known to help reduce antibodies too).

W.R.T the struggling adrenals - they can also be starved of the things they need to work - these include vitamin b12, vitamin c, zinc, magnesium or vitamins b6 and essentially, b5. There are some fancy b complexes that can address these deficiencies (they often have 'stress' in the title - e.g. the ratio of b5 to biotin is important as biotin may interfere with b5 absorption), or, you can buy them separately once you've figured what you need. Always better to start low and to not take any b12 until you've had the blood tests.

dummies.com/health/diseases...

Thanks tested for vitamin and minerals and told they were ok so no supplements needed also positive for TPO and TG antibodies

Levels of b12 and iron should be good rather than 'in range', so I'd ask for a recent print-out - you should be allowed to make your own interpretation especially as your T3 levels are proportionally lower. There really is no such thing as 'normal' or 'ok' when you're symptomatic.

hypothyroidmom.com/90-of-pe...

TPO antibodies *704.5 IU/mL (<34)

TG antibodies *566.3 IU/mL (<115)

You may also like...