Thyroid UK
91,756 members106,050 posts

Thyroid results

Hi I am new could I have bloods interpreted please.

TPO antibody 347 (<34)

TSH 6.3 (0.2 - 4.2)

Free T4 11.7 (12 - 22)

Free T3 2.6 (3.1 - 6.8)

Symptoms

Weight loss

Sweating

Pale skin

Feeling cold

Splitting nails

Flaking nails

Constipation

Joint pain

Breathlessness

Heavy periods

Dry skin

Thank you

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Caskade

What has your GP said about these results?

You have over range TSH, below range free Ts, and positive antibodies confirming autoimmune thyroiditis aka Hashimoto's. You need to be prescribed Levothyroxine straight away.

Hi nothing been said about my results thanks

Caskade

Book an appointment with your GP and point out your above range TSH and that you have below range free Ts. If he is reluctant to give you a diagnosis because your TSH hasn't reached 10, then you can use the following information from an article written by Dr Anthony Toft (leading endocrinologist and past president of the British Thyroid Association) for Pulse Online magazine for doctors which says

"........

But if it persists then antibodies to thyroid peroxidase should be measured. If these are positive - indicative of underlying autoimmune thyroid disease - the patient should be considered to have the mildest form of hypothyroidism.

In the absence of symptoms some would simply recommend annual thyroid function tests untill serum TSH is over 10mU/l or symptoms such as tiredness and weigh gain develop. But a more pragmatic approach is to recognise that the thyroid failure is likely to become worse and try to nip things in the bud rather than risk loss to follow-up.

....."

You can email dionne.fulcher@thyroiduk.org for a copy of the Pulse article, it is question 2 that is relevant.

You should be started on Levo no less than 50mcg daily unless you have heart problems or are elderly. Retesting in 6-8 weeks should be done, with an increase of 25mcg, then every 6 weeks retest/increase until your symptoms abate. The aim of a treated hypo patient generally is for TSH to be 1 or below or wherever it needs to be for FT4 and FT3 to be in the upper part of their respective reference ranges when on Levo.

When booking thyroid tests, always book the very first appointment of the morning, fast overnight (water allowed) and leave off Levo for 24 hours. This gives the highest possible TSH which is needed when looking for an increase in dose or to avoid a reduction. TSH is highest early morning and lowers throughout the day. It also lowers after eating. This is a patient to patient tip which we don't discuss with doctors or phlebotomists.

Take your Levo on an empty stomach, one hour before or two hours after food, with a glass of water only, no tea, coffee, milk, etc, for an hour either side as absorption will be affected. Take any other medication and supplements 2 hours away from Levo, some need 4 hours.

With regards to the Hashi's, this is where antibodies attack the thyroid and gradually destroy it. The antibody attacks cause fluctuations in symptoms and test results.

Most doctors dismiss antibodies as being of no importance and know little or nothing about Hashi's and how it affects the patient, test results and symptoms. You need to read, learn, understand and help yourself where Hashi's is concerned.

You can help reduce the antibodies by adopting a strict gluten free diet which has helped many members here. Gluten contains gliadin (a protein) which is thought to trigger autoimmune attacks so eliminating gluten can help reduce these attacks. You don't need to be gluten sensitive or have Coeliac disease for a gluten free diet to help.

Supplementing with selenium l-selenomethionine 200mcg daily can also help reduce the antibodies, as can keeping TSH suppressed.

Gluten/thyroid connection: chriskresser.com/the-gluten...

stopthethyroidmadness.com/h...

stopthethyroidmadness.com/h...

hypothyroidmom.com/hashimot...

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

Hashi's and gut absorption problems tend to go hand in hand and can very often result in low nutrient levels or deficiencies. It's important to get vitamins and minerals tested and supplement where there are any low levels or deficiencies. Ideally you need:

Vit D

B12

Folate

Ferritin

and if ferritin is low:

Iron Panel

Full Blood Count

If you've had any of these done, please post the results, with ranges, and say if you are supplementing.

Thanks TSH reached over 30 2 weeks ago so I need medication

Caskade

If your TSH has been over 30 then why hasn't your GP started you on Levo?

I dont know

Caskade

If you know that with a TSH of 30 you need medication, why did you not pursue this?

You need to make an urgent appointment with your GP and get this sorted, don't leave the surgery without a prescription for at least 50mcg levo, and everything else I've mentioned above needs attention so start addressing the Hashi's and get those vitamins and minerals tested.

I did pursue it but GP told me results needed no action

Caskade

See another GP or change surgeries. This GP will kill you.

Once you've got treatment sorted, make a formal complaint for negligence against this one. He needs his license removing.

1 like

Completely agree with everything SeasideSusie has said

There's been an avalanche of incompetent and negligent medics recently

See a different GP at the surgery, make an urgent "on the day" appointment

Your dire vitamin levels are result of this and also need urgent attention

You may also like...