Does anyone 'over-replace' with T3 or T4?

Hello lovely folks,

I have Hashimoto's and I am on 75mcg T4 and 35mcg T3. My last blood test results (taken on 23 of November) were:

Tsh <0.01 (range 0.3 - 5), FT4 9.4 (range 9 - 21), TT3 2.1 (range 0.9 - 2.5)

(Neither Dr's or Endo will test FT3)

I have been through many combinations of T3 and T4 and found that this combination made me feel great when I was off work for a few months, but since I've been back at work I've been feeling dreadful again.

So, I was wondering if I should take more T3 even if it will make my blood results over the range limit, and just use how my body feels to tell if I'm over-replaced?

Does anyone do this?

Has anyone had good experiences/bad experiences doing this?

What do you do when the Dr's want to test your levels? (I currently get both my T4 and T3 prescribed so if my levels were above range they would cut what they were prescribing meaning I had to rely more on buying from abroad)

I'm thinking topping up T3 rather than T4 as adding in T3 is what made the real difference to me throughout this (although I did also feel terrible when my T4 went below range). Also I know how to buy T3 on-line (not so sure if you can get T4 on-line?).

I know my T4 is quite low, but when I was on T4 only and it was up at 14 and 15, I felt awful and didn't feel better until the T3 was added in.

I've had my vitamins checked, and have had lots of advice regarding that, and advice about going gluten free, and how to take my T3/T4, but at the moment I'm just looking for information on this specific issue rather than advice on other means of trying to feel better.

Thanks for reading.

17 Replies
oldestnewest

Hey, I do. I did and do a lot of experimenting on myself due to lack of informed help from my GPs and them also taking away t3 two years agp - without 2nd thought of how it'll affect my health and wellbeing.

See my reply to this subject on how I've been dosing here:

healthunlocked.com/thyroidu...

At the moment I'm ending 2nd week on t3 only and (I'm scared to jinx it by saying too early) but I feel pretty damn well for the 1st time in 10 years!!!

I'm dosing by how I feel, this week doing 75 mcg 3 x split.

2 likes

T4 is available online as well.

My latest FT3 levels were 3.6 (ref 1.7-3.7) a month ago, but that was 24 hours after taking thyroid meds (I take NDT), so they were approximately 20% higher the previous day = slightly over range. But I have accepted that I need that in order to feel truly well and rid myself of all symptoms.

1 like

I know that you're looking for advice on T3 and I wouldn't want to impede that line of enquiry, however, your b12 was pretty much in the dumps before at a level below 300. Have you checked this recently since you started on the sublinguals?

It's occurred to me that as you've upped your energy output (especially the mental energy with working) that your body will be requiring more b12 and maybe you should be checking that too?? Poor conversion of T4-T3 and poor absorption of b12 often go hand-in-hand due to poor enzymatic function and gut issues.

2 likes

I take T3 only. I tried combining T4 and T3 and although I felt better I still wasn't right. T3 alone has cleared my "fibromyalgia" aches and I feel energetic now. Dosage I've checked through Medichecks and how I feel. 50mcg was too much, (palpitations) so now I'm taking 32.5mcg (Tiromel) and I'm much improved. No palpitations! I tried to reintroduce T4 in combination when I reduced my dose of T3 and immediately felt awful. Aching and exhausted. So now I'm T3 only. Not experienced any problems yet although my TSH is very suppressed of course. Experimentation seems the only way.

2 likes

I too feel not good on free t4 over 15.0! but less than 12 is also not good! overly low free T4 needs too much T3 to keep TSH from climbing way too high , too much T3 makes me edgy and headachy and over stimulated heart rate! what seems to work best for me is 3 Split doses of Lerotlyroyine at 25 plus desicated at 0.25 grain westroid pure or nature throid which is 2.25 µg T3 28 T4 . I split equally midnight 6 am at midday.

1 like

I paid for the DIO2 gene test in June 2017 and it did return as genetic fault for one parent (heterozygous). I pretty much had guessed this before the test but it confirmed it in black & white for me. I was being prescribed 40mcg a day of only T3 by NHS since 2014. I was also buying extra myself and topping it up by about 12mcg a day. It made my TSH around 0.05 and my FT3 about 1 point above the top of the range but before I had taken the extra I could hardly get out of my pyjamas and had definite mental health symptoms. Since August 2017 I've drastically changed my diet too, and now (end of November 2017) I feel better than I've ever felt, at least since my teenage years.

Have you done the DIO2 gene test? I know it's expensive at c. £160 but worth every penny. You can wave the printed results in front of GPs and endo's and get T3 on the NHS.

3 likes

Hi Marigold22,

Sorry for the extreme lateness of this reply. Thank you for replying to my post. I was wondering, when you are topping up with your own T3, and the blood tests show you are over range, don't the Dr's want to lower the amount of T3 they are prescribing for you?

Yes the doctors do want to lower the amount. It's been a constant battle and a nightmare. I have evaded an NHS blood test for about 2 years now. But am seeing an NHS endo on 5th March & I'm dreading it. I will make every excuse in the book not to have a blood test. They are unable to interpret mine anyway.

I'm thinking that is what'll happen to me too if I top up with T3 myself. Have you any tips on avoiding the blood tests?

In the past I've said "oh, I've taken my tablets today & a test is meant to be before taking medication". Or a GP gives me a blood test sheet & I don't go. It truly is a nightmare. This is the reason it's taken me such an incredibly longtime to get better - 36 years after being diagnosed with hypothyroid; but in fact have Hashi's. The GPs kept on reducing my T3 dose down due to the blood test results. I was stuck on 20mcg of T3 a day (no T4 added) for many years, then 30mcg a day. Now 40mcg and only beginning to feel anything like a well person.

In fact Kittenmittens, it could be so helpful if you wrote another post asking what folk do about NHS blood tests when they know they're over medicated according to GPs and endo's. It's the biggest nightmare ever. x

I'm glad you're doing a bit better now :) I guess I'll just try and put off any blood tests, but it's a bit tricky as I'm seeing my Endo every 3 months at the moment and he always does a test. But I'm not sure how much longer I'll be seeing him this regularly.

I have put up another post asking this question but so far I've not gotten any replies from anyone who has this issue.

1 like

Many on here must have or have had this horrible problem. I expect you will get answers tomorrow x

1 like

You don't want your TT4 tested, it doesn't give you any useful information. Neither does the TT3, that test is useless. What you really want is the FT3. It's possible to have a really low FT3, even though the TT3 looks good. So, at the moment, you can't know if increasing your T3 will take you over-range.

In any case, some people need their FT3 slightly over-range because their absorption is bad. But, you won't know unless you try. Your TSH is already suppressed - as one would expect on 35 mcg T3 - so it won't make any difference there.

3 likes

Yep, sorry there greygoose, I meant FT3, I don't know why I said TT4, brain fog I suppose.

1 like

I do push my freeT3 over range. But as GG says, you've only got total T3 so you don't really know if your freeT3 is high.

My experience messing around at the top of the range with freeT3 is that if I increase my activity level, it's the equivalent of a dose reduction. You've increased your activity by going back to work, so that will be why your dosage now feels low. So it may be that your freeT3 has also reduced a bit. Or this might just be a strange effect I've had, as I believe I may have thyroid hormone resistance.

3 likes

You need a free T3 test, as total T3 is not at all useful.

You may also like...