Tsh level

Hi. I had my recent blood test and my TSH is way within range -

TSH - 1.45 (0.3-4.5).

Free Thyroxine - 15.1 (10-22)

The test was done on an empty stomach and around 11am (the time of my hospital appointment). 6 weeks ago my TSH was high. I’m only on 25mcg of levothyroxine and I don’t feel good at all. I have Hashimoto’s and I follow a strict gluten free diet. My question really is how can my tsh change so dramatically and I feel so ill all the time? I know I don’t need an increase but now I’m a little lost as what to do.

All my vitamins are within range as well.

8 Replies
oldestnewest

LMor,

TSH will be lower because 25mcg Levothyroxine has raised FT4 to 15.1. Six weeks is the normal time for thyroid levels to respond to intitiation of dose or a dose increase.

Symptoms can lag behind good biochemistry by several months but I think there is scope to increase your dose to 50mcg or 25mcg/50mcg alternate days to raise FT4 higher in range.

The goal of Levothyroxine is to restore the patient to euthyroid status. For most patients that will be when TSH is 0.3 - 1.0 with FT4 in the upper range. FT4 needs to be in the upper range in order that sufficient T3 is converted. Read Treatment Options in thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_... Email dionne.fulcher @thyroiduk.org if you would like a copy of the Pulse article to show your GP.

It can take a considerable time for gluten-free diet to improve Hashimoto's symptoms and antibodies.

chriskresser.com/the-gluten...

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. So you think on alternative days I should take 50mcg? The doctor I saw today was thinking of taking me off medication as my tsh has lowered. I did put him straight so I do know he wouldn’t increase my actual dose to 50mcg but I can take a higher dose myself.

LMor,

Well I do think increasing dose might be helpful but will you have enough Levothyroxine if your GP doesn't increase your prescription?

No.....I could maybe increase dose two or three times a week and then tell him I lost them lol

I would try anything to make me feel better. I do know that!! :-(

LMor,

That's a precarious way of going about it. You'd do better to have the conversation with him and show him the Pulse article I recommended. If he won't increase dose then write a post asking members to recommend where you can buy Levothyroxine.

I wouldn’t really do that. I will ask him next time I’m there and show him the article. Thank you very much for your advice. It’s really appreciated x

1 like

Its freet3 that matters and its probably low if your a poor converter or have DIO2 gene

1 like

You may also like...