Thyroid UK
89,225 members103,734 posts

Lupus and thyroid issues

Hi, I’ve been taking Levo for a couple of years now and generally feel horrible most of the time! What I wanted to check out though is that at a recent doctors appointment with my dad, it turns out that my dad was diagnosed with SLE Lupus years before I was born. Dads just been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s so was unaware of this and I’m not aware of him struggling with this. My question is, could this be connected to my thyroid problem? My thyroid went overactive then underactive then packed up all together a couple of years ago and I’ve never felt well or happy since. Any insight would be useful, thanks in advance x

1 Reply
oldestnewest

Denise133,

There are members with Lupus and thyroid disorder but it isn't a given that you will have both. If you have symptoms of Lupus you should ask for tests.

It's not uncommon for a period of overactivity to burn out the thyroid and for hypothyroidism to follow. If you post your recent TSH, FT4 and FT3 results and ranges I can tell you whether you are adequately dosed. If you have results for ferritin, vitamin D, B12 and folate include them too.

You may also like...