Thyroid UK
89,207 members103,710 posts

tramadol used as a heroin substitue?

i was shocked to read this, i am given it on prescription from my spinal surgeon, i dont use it very much but when and if the pain is too unbearable it is the only pain killer that helps, it makes me feel ill. glad i am not in egypt. i remember when my son was ill when he was 25,he is 38 now, and had to go to india for hi s firm, i am only glad at that time with my nonfunctioning brain i asked the doctor for a letter for him to take his antibiotics with him. it doesnt bear thinking about. i was so glad when he got back home in the uk. everyone moans about uk but i would rather be here than anywhere.

14 Replies
oldestnewest

Yes, it's an opiate. It is addictive - I'd have expected your doctor to tell you that. But what alternatives are there? The NHS say addiction is rare, but there are many organizations helping addicts so I suspect it is not rare (but that people just never stop taking it) eg addictionhelper.com/drug/pr...

i take it rarely as it makes me ill.

Hi Bluepettals, as I understand it drug addicts dissolve tramadol in some way and inject it.

good grief i must be so green!

It wasn't long ago that Tramadol was being used to help heroid addicts to quit.

The only pain killer that worked for me. But the side affects can be devastating and anybody who says it’s not addictive is not being honest with themselves.

2 likes

Horrible stuff, that I've always described as prescription heroin.

It's not expecially good for pain, but left me not caring what day of the week it was, or being bothered to eat & drink. I worry about people driving after taking this, & other opiate medications.

1 like

Yes it can really cause drowsiness quite heavily .. I tended to want to pee a lot as well for some reason I guess it relaxes the bladder

1 like

I've not noticed this, but then I can't be bothered to drink when I take it! :(

1 like

Yes I got like that because when you are relaxed on them it's more convenient to go a bit thirsty than having to get up every 5 mins for wee wee

I was prescribed Tramadol after a kidney operation went wrong, and yes, it worked on the pain. I was constantly prescribed it for 2 years, and finally realised I did not need it and weaned myself off it. That was tough. When I told the GP I had weaned myself off it he looked at my file and sort of went pale, as of course I should never have been prescribed it for so long. Now Co-codamol occasionally stops the pain and I can cope with that.

I was told it was non habit forming. They lied.

1 like

i only use it when it is dire for me as itmakes me like a zombie

1 like

Zoppyclones are worse or "Soppy Clowns" as I call them

1 like

You have to use quite a lot to reach the same kind of buzz really .. these did help me get through a "cluck" off H once I don't think they are as effective as say Subutex or Methodone but they have a something about them which enables good sleep the drowsiness factor is very similar to H. You can get addicted to Tramadol both physically and mentally so be careful .. in my experience you would probably be safe to blast away a week on these and then come off completely but wean yourself off instead just to be sure

You may also like...