Thyroid UK
82,891 members97,928 posts

Help with Results

I have had a full test done but I am unsure what the results mean, can anyone help?

THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE

*14.4 mIU/L 0.27 - 4.20

FREE THYROXINE 15.8 pmol/L 12.00 - 22.00

TOTAL THYROXINE(T4) 89.4 nmol/L 59.00 - 154.00

FREE T3 4.56 pmol/L 3.10 - 6.80

THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODY <10 IU/mL 0.00 - 115.00

THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES 10 IU/mL 0.00 - 34.00

They seem to state that everything is normal but my TSH.

I have attempted taking 25mcg of Levo several times for only a few days at a time but I have had bad side effects with it. What I do not understand is if my T3 and T4 are normal, why am I being given T4 to take? Surely that will mean I'll end up with too much T4 and go hyper?

5 Replies
oldestnewest

With a TSH of 14.4 you are hypothyroid, your thyroid is struggling. Your ft3 and ft4 are under halfway through the range, it is probable that your normal would be high in range so that these levels are low for you. 25mcg levothyroxine is a starting dose and is sub therapeutic for most people, it takes 6 weeks for levels to stabilise in the blood and you then have a blood test and the dose is increased as necessary, normally in 25mcg increments. It often takes 6 months to get to the correct level. It is important to take levothyroxine on an empty stomach with only water and not eat for an hour afterwards. Milk and coffee especially inhibit absorption. Some people find it easier to take levothyroxine at night but again it has to be at least 2 hours after eating on an empty stomach and also away from other medication.

When you have repeat bloods post them on here for further advice. Goodluck.

It is possible that the brand you have been taking is causing the side effects from the fillers etc. Some people are very sensitive to specific brands .

The new Teva formula has been causing problems for some.

1 like

With mercury brand I've been getting - Irritability

Heart flutters

Mood swings

Restlessness

Inability to sleep

Muscle tension and twinges

I think you will have ,as others have suggested,give it longer at least 6-8 weeks get retested and then see your GP.On that low dose it often leads people to feel worse as your own thyroid produces less because you are adding the hormone.It takes time to get balance.

You can't stop and start Levothyroxine. It's not a medication, it's a replacement hormone, because your thyroid, for what ever reason, is not making enough

You need to take it every day, ideally at same time, always on an empty stomach and then nothing apart from water for at least an hour after

Many take on waking, but it can be more convenient and effective taken at bedtime (at least 2 hours after eating, 3hours after large meal)

What were your blood test results BEFORE taking Levo

25mcg is possibly too small a dose, it often makes people feel worse. It's enough for your thyroid to take a bit of a rest, but not enough for your daily need

We have to start slowly and increase slowly, but usual starting dose is 50mcgs, unless elderly or frail.

Blood should be retested 6-8 weeks after starting or any dose change.

All thyroid tests should be done as early as possible in morning and fasting and don't take Levo in the 24 hours prior to test, delay and take straight after. This gives highest TSH and most consistent results

Ask GP to test vitamin D, folate, ferritin and B12 too. These are often too low when hypo, stopping thyroid hormones to work

Read all about it

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

You may also like...