Log in
Thyroid UK
93,549 members107,596 posts

Confused? help


I'm 17, I've been suffering with my periods for a long time. I've been having periods that last 20-80 days, with constant severe pain. My drs suspect endometriosis, but aren't doing anything about it aside from putting me on Cilest and Tranexamic Acid (which hasn't changed anything)

I've had blood tests that show I have a severe hormone imbalance, including hypothyroidism. They aren't doing anything about it. I'm tired all the time, my hair is falling out, and I just don't really know what to do. I'm posting this in the Endo forum as well to see if I can get a bit more answers, but I just want to know- has anyone else had this experience?

I'm not really being listened to due to my age even though I'm tired 24/7, I have hair loss, and I'm having bad joint pain. I think I might have Hashimoto's as I match all of the criteria for it, but again, as I'm 17 I am not being listened to

2 Replies

Well, the first thing you need to do, is ring the surgery, and tell them you want a print-out of your last test results - or, in any case, the one with the thyroid tests on it. Say you will go round and collect it at their convenience. Don't be fobbed off by any receptionist cheek! If you live in the UK, it is your legal right to have a copy, under the 1998 Data Protection Act.

You need to know exactly what was tested, and exactly what the results were. And, you need to keep your own records. On the back of the print-out, list all your symptoms.

It doesn't matter that you won't understand them, at the moment. You post them on here, with the ranges, and we will explain, and tell you what your next step should be. Doctors are far less likely to fob off someone who is proactive, that someone who trusts them and just takes their word for everything. Sad situation, but true.

Chin up! I'm sure there's something that can be done about all this, once you are in full possession of the facts. :)


While at 17 you are an adult in the eyes of gaining medical consent, as you are under 18 you can insist that someone who is older than 18 comes in to your appointments to "chaperone" you.

Unfortunately I know 2 people who when they were around your age who had tumours. Only because they insist on an adult over 18 coming in with them they were finally listened to. They are both fine now.

So first get your records and start a new thread as greygoose has said, then when you get the advice, copy it down and take someone over 18 to your appointments with you.

The doctor may try and throw the person out but you must clearly state you want them in the room. The person's job is to ensure that the doctor listens to you and refers you on appropriately.


You may also like...