Thyroid UK
85,976 members100,878 posts

can anyone help with these results please /elderly brother in law and the b12 is considered adequate!!!!

i dont agree.

b12 168ng/L (120-900)

haemogobulin below range 128g/L (130-180

platelet count 42p below range 148-10*9/L (150-400)

red blood cell 426 below range 3.88-10*12L ( 4.5-6.5)

mean cell volume 42a above range 100.3fl (80-100)

serum urea level Above range 10.7mmol/2.5-7.8

gfr 45ml ( 60- 250)

mean cell haemoglobulin above range 33.1 ( 27.0-32.0)

serum alk phosphatase 186 130.0 - 130.0)

thanks

9 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi BP, please could you check the three results that start with '42'? Not quite sure whether the numbers are results, or something else.

Your poor brother in law must be feeling awful, if the results mean what I think they mean. They appear to indicate both iron deficiency anaemia and possibly pernicious anaemia (the very low B12 and increased MCV).

I'm not very knowledgeable about the other results, but I think they're related to liver and kidney function. I hope someone else can shed light on these for you. What is his GP doing about treatment?

he does appear to be feeling ok, as he goe sto his club twice a week still has a drink but--- the doctor is doing sweet sod all!!! how can they say the b12 is adequate - that is not optimal!

1 like

Does he have a thyroid condition? Am I being rude to ask if it's an occasional drink or a lot of alcohol daily? B12 is affected by alcohol intake.

1 like

nanedake-- no it isnt being rude and thankyou for replying- he is a daft old git and has had a bit too much to drink twice aweek for agood few years- but has had to cut right back now to a small glass of whisky twice a week as he is prediabetic now- his thyroid looks ok- tsh was 1.5nmol and ft4 15 something..

1 like

Well, as his B12 is in range I doubt his GP will suggest supplements. There's no requirement to give supplements on the NHS if in range. He could buy his own to raise his levels, maybe a good B complex to keep all the B's in balance? Some people feel fine with low B12. When people have a thyroid condition then low B12 together with other vitamin deficiencies prevent levothyroxine from working effectively.

1 like

thankyou fo rthat- what is the b12 level in relation to nmol then- i have not seenthat medical level before ng/L?

1 like

vitamins are measured in different ways ng/L is nonograms per litre. All you really need to know is the reference range and where your results lie in the range.

You could post B12 and folate results on the HealthUnlocked Pernicious Anaemia website if you want advice on B vitamins, they are the experts.

1 like

yes i put the post up there too thankyou.

1 like

no folate or ferritin done either or homosysteiene

1 like

You may also like...