Thyroid UK
85,719 members100,651 posts

Been on 50mg of Levo for 12 months

Hi

Please could someone just offer a quick word of advice. My free T4 had been 11 for the previous 3 years, last year my hair started to fall out by my temples, plus lot of other symptoms, tiredness, brain fog, hairs on my legs stop growing, eyebrows thinning etc.

My doctor decided to put me on Levo 50mg per day. I hoped to feel lots better but to be honest I haven't, I was never told by Doctor to have levels retested. My hair still didn't grow back, in fact I think its a bit worse. My Sister in Law suggested getting my T3 checked as my T4 might not be converting to T3. I spoke to a different Doctor as mine had retired by then. The Doctor snorted and said nobody has their T3 checked as it is very rare that anybody has a conversion problem and she refused to have it done.

I was referred to a dermatologist for my hair, he got me to have more bloods tests. I was surprised to see that my T4 level had only risen to 12.6 even taking the pills. Is this too low still? I still feel exhausted most of the time. My Mother had Hashimotos, I'm not sure if its hereditary. Thank you to anybody who might be able to give me a clue what to do next. xx

3 Replies
oldestnewest

Ria39 We need reference ranges with test results to be able to interpret them, ranges vary from lab to lab so we need the ranges from your own lab. However, your FT4 may be at the low end.

You should most definiely have been retested 6-8 weeks after starting Levo, with an increase of 25mcg in dose, and this should have continued every 6-8 weeks until you felt well and symptoms improved.

You could ask for another test now, explaining that you've only ever had the one test and nothing since starting Levo. If your GP was any good, she'd have done TSH and FT4 when she refused to test FT3. She only has to look at the computer screen to see when your last test was carried out.

Personally, I would invest £99 if you can and get yourself a private fingerprick test (or blood draw at extra cost) from either Blue Horizon or Medichecks and this will test

TSH

FT4

FT3

Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies

Thyroglobulin antibodies

Vit D

B12

Folate

Ferritin

Vitamins and minerals need to be optimal for thyroid hormone to work, and a test bundle like this covers everything at a very reasonable cost, testing things your GP wont do.

bluehorizonmedicals.co.uk/t...

medichecks.com/thyroid-func...

Excellent service - results back usually within 24-48 hours of them receiving your blood sample. Post results on the forum for comment.

3 likes

Thank you so much SeasideSusie I will defo get the blood test. It just seemed the new Doctor just wasn't interested and made me feel I was being a pain as she was quite rude. I had absolutely no idea about the vitamins and minerals. Thank you,

Drs can do that. Thoroughly annoying. They seem to treat it as a female issue. The only time I was tested for T3 wasn’t by a GP but a rheumatologist who really knows her stuff. By asking for a T3 it means the Drs know we are looking at the internet. They hate that.

2 likes

You may also like...