Thyroid UK

Zinc test

What is the best way to test Zinc level? I have recently started to take a multivitamin which contains 15mg of Zinc .It has help to stop loose stools. Thank you

I tried "Zincatest is a simple and non-invasive test, which gives an indication of your zinc status" and found I'm on level 1( very low ) .

10 Replies
oldestnewest

I did a blood test with Blue Horizon when I first did a load of private testing. Zinc should be around half way through it's range.

By the way, multivitamins are a waste of time. They contain too little of anything to help, often contain the wrong and least absorbable form of ingredients, and if it contains iron then nothing else can be absorbed because iron must be taken at least two hours away from any other supplements as it affects absorption. Also, if it contans calcium and/or iodine then they shouldn't be supplemented unless tested and found to be deficient.

You'd be better off throwing your multivitamin away, testing for the ones recommended here (Vit D, B12, Folate, Ferritin) and any others you wish to, then supplement where levels are low or where there are deficiencies.

1 like

Thank you . Interesting, I'm using (Check this out: Sanatogen A-Z Complete Multivitamin One A Day - 90 Tablets Sanatogen amazon.co.uk/dp/B001E5CH74/... . Is it better to use just zinc then ?

There's so much wrong with that mulivitamin.

Magnesium is the oxide form - the least absorbable.

Zinc is the oxide form - usually the form put into suppositories, ointments and sunscreen.

B12 is cyanocobalamin, methylcobalamin is the best form

Folic acid and methylfolate is the best form

It has two forms of potassium - chloride and iodide - the iodine form is a thyroid blocking agent and is used to treat hyperthyroidism

Vit A - wrong form again, it should be retinyl palmitate

1mcg of B12 - not much use to anyone, if you have low levels of B12 the minimum needed would be 1000mcg.

4.5mcg Vit D = less than 200iu. A maintenance dose for someone with a good level would be 1000iu.

It contains 200mg calcium and 150mcg iodine, neither of which should be supplemented unless you have been tested and shown to be deficient, and then under supervision.

And worst of all it contains 14mg of iron so nothing else will be absorbed.

If you want to take vitamins and minerals then you should test and see what you need. Personally I wouldn't trust one of those 'taste' zinc tests, but that's just my opinion.

3 likes

Thank you , really helpful! I had a quick search through top selling multivitamins , seems like all contain Zinc Oxide for some reason. Zinc Citrate etc only available in the form of zinc only supplements. Is Zinc Sulphate a good form of Zinc?

Thank you , really helpful! I had a quick search through top selling multivitamins , seems like all contain Zinc Oxide for some reason. Zinc Citrate etc only available in the form of zinc only supplements. Is Zinc Sulphate a good form of Zinc?

seems like all contain Zinc Oxide for some reason

Because it's cheap.

Zinc citrate is in my mineral complex.

Best do some research

globalhealingcenter.com/nat...

articles.mercola.com/sites/...

metabolics.com/blog/a-pract...

1 like

Thank you again, it makes sense . I found this one (http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-high-strength-zinc-tablets-15mg-60005711?skuid=005713&&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_adid=210906234626&utm_adgID=58700002702351962&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIibSCt_O71gIVYbftCh1fgQE5EAQYASABEgIj_PD_BwE) Would you happy to share your mineral complex? Thank you

This is the mineral complex I use, contains no calcium, iodine or iron.

biocare.co.uk/mineral-complex

Personally, I'd never buy H&B own brand of anything. Generally they're full of cheap rubbish so I avoid like the plague. Plus their parent company, an American company, who also own Solgar, deals in arms which doesn't sit well with me.

The first link I gave you says this about zinc gluconate, which is what the H&B supplement is

Unfortunately, gluconate supplements are just a chemical substitute for actual zinc.

Sadly, the body absorbs very little of this processed form, as the bioavailability of these chemicals is virtually none.

3 likes

Thank you SeasideSusie

Brilliant research, well done SeasideSusie.

1 like

You may also like...