so what do you think of this? dysfunctional breathing

to cut a long story short and those who remeber my history, i have ended up in national neuro hospital with POTS symptoms but no diagnosis as i wa s 4 hearts beats short of the requited amount-- ok from there i end up having breathing tests

and more POTS tests from endos own cardio colleague. cutting out a laborious epistle, i have dysfunctional breathing where by i hyperventilate all the time, thus

causing too little carbon dioxide in my blood, which causes cold hands feet, tingling everywhere, fatigue, tiredness, shoulder neck achs and pains, heart paps, air

hunger,panic atacks. lack of concentration foggy brain etc--i have hypermobilty, endo probs, lyme and adrenals have been on the floor- he said that something

triggered it, and low carbon dioxide causes everything to be too alkaline thus causing everything to malfunction for want of a better word, ( cant exactly remember his words, but i have breathing exercises which are very hard,i am almost too

short of breath to take in small tiny breaths and my chest should not move.so i looked up low carbon dioxide and found that it can be caused by addisons /adrenals/ kidenys, i have stage3 kidney and also very low cortisol so i reckon an adrenal crisis in 2007 and 2010, i was in hopsital in 2007 on adrip for 3 days and all symptoms of

adrenal s crisis and worse in 2010 but ha d to cope alone, my friend looked after me it was an horrendous time , the neuro doc figured that is what it was, an adrenal crisi as well, in 200 and 2010, now, the chest therapist yesterday, says all this is seperate from Pots, so the

mystery continues.

Last edited by

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I suffer from hyperventilation periodically. About 8 years ago it was very, very bad and I went to the doctor.

I was lucky. Rather than being prescribed anti-depressants, which I think is the common practice now, I was referred to the surgery's respiratory nurse and she gave me breathing exercises to do. I wasn't impressed to begin with. I had no faith in the exercises at all. And I felt I was being suffocated while I did them. But I persisted and eventually I got the benefit of them. Before I started the exercises I breathed in and out every 2 seconds. (And I'm not exaggerating.) After a few weeks of doing the exercises I could spread out one breath in and out to every 20 seconds without struggling.

I still have a tendency to hyperventilate sometimes, but it doesn't degenerate into panic now because I know how to deal with it, and I do my breathing exercises for a few days, and things go back to normal.

I would guess there is always a trigger for hyperventilating. In my case I think it was giving up smoking combined with severe iron deficiency. Both things altered my breathing pattern and I started hyperventilating more and more.

One of the simplest tricks I've learned is that if my lungs feel over-full and I'm struggling to squeeze more air into the top of my lungs (this often starts unconsciously), I just breathe out steadily until my lungs feel empty(ish) right down to the bottom of my lungs. I don't push the air out forcibly, I don't struggle, I just relax as I do it. When my lungs are empty(ish) I start breathing in so that I fill my lungs from the bottom upwards. Then I start breathing properly again.

If you want some things to investigate, do some searches for :

a) diaphragmatic breathing

b) belly breathing

c) Buteyko breathing

d) 7/11 breathing

• that is interesting human B, it is hard tryingto do these excercises i know.

• i just found this and low carbon is mentioned as adrenal prob, the only one who said i had adrenal cris was a neuro doc in london.

URMC / Encyclopedia / Carbon Dioxide (Blood)

Carbon Dioxide (Blood)

Does this test have other names?

Carbon dioxide content, CO2 content, carbon dioxide blood test, bicarbonate blood test, bicarbonate test

What is this test?

This test measures how much carbon dioxide is in your blood.

When you digest food, your body makes carbon dioxide as a waste product in the form of gas. Your blood carries this gas to your lungs. You exhale it and breathe in oxygen thousands of times a day. Carbon dioxide in your blood usually causes no problems. But if you have far too much or too little of it, you may have a disease or a health emergency.

Most of the carbon dioxide in your body is in the form of bicarbonate. This is made by your kidneys. Bicarbonate is used to keep the acids and bases in your blood in balance.

The test measures all types of carbon dioxide in your blood: bicarbonate, carbonic acid, and dissolved CO2. Because of this, it gives only an estimate of the amount of bicarbonate.

Why do I need this test?

You may need this test if you are having trouble breathing, especially if you feel confused and disoriented.

You may also need this test if your healthcare provider thinks you have a lung, liver, or digestive disease. This is because your body uses carbon dioxide to keep a healthy balance of acid-base (pH) and electrolytes. These diseases are linked to changes in levels of bicarbonate in the blood.

You may also have this test if your provider wants to check the progress of a disease linked to blood bicarbonate levels. This may be Cushing syndrome or kidney disease. You may also have this test to look at any side effects of medicines like metformin that may cause acidosis.

What other tests might I have along with this test?

Your healthcare provider may also order an electrolyte panel. This measures your sodium, potassium, and chloride levels.

What do my test results mean?

Many things may affect your lab test results. These include the method each lab uses to do the test. Even if your test results are different from the normal value, you may not have a problem. To learn what the results mean for you, talk with your healthcare provider.

Results are given in millimoles per liter (mmol/L). Normal values in adults are 22 to 29 mmol/L.

Higher levels of carbon dioxide may mean you have:

Metabolic alkalosis, or too much bicarbonate in your blood

Cushing syndrome

Hyperaldosteronism, an adrenal gland problem

Kidney failure

Lower levels of carbon dioxide may mean you have:

Metabolic acidosis, or your blood is too acidic

Addison disease, an adrenal gland problem

Ketoacidosis. This is a complication of type 1 and type 2 diabetes.

Lactic acidosis

• Wow - way more complicated than I thought.

• enlightening eh?

• Did they suggest trying Buteyko breathing? That's supposed to increase CO2 (and it's a lot harder to do than it sounds)

You may also like...