Log in
Thyroid UK
91,922 members106,186 posts

Gp wants me to wait 12 weeks before retesting?

Hi was just wondering if anyone knows why my gp wants me to wait 12 weeks this time instead of 8?

I waited 7 weeks last time (so that I could get my results back and an appt before running out of meds at 8 weeks) and my tsh had gone from 6.53 (0.27-4.2) on 25mcg t4 to 4.7 on 50mcg.

She increased me to 75mcg but wasn't at all happy I'd only waited 7 weeks and said we're supposed to wait 3 months so to wait next time.

What would be her reason for wanting me to wait 3 months instead? I know it says on here it takes 6 weeks to metabolise the dose so test 6-8 weeks.

I haven't felt any better since increasing to 75mcg and with my tsh being back close to within range from increasing to 50's I really thought I would or would nearly be.

I've actually felt worse and I'm 2 weeks late on my already long and irregular cycle so nearly 2 months without and I'm not pregnant.

Is there any reason other than wanting to leave us to struggle a bit longer?

I'm supplementing for deficient folic acid and vit d which were normal last test and due a b12 injection a week today (and counting)


2 Replies


75mcg is likely to be sufficient to bring TSH into the lower range 0.27 - 1.0 but symptoms may lag behind by a few weeks so perhaps that is why your GP wants to wait to test 3 months after the dose increase.

You should order a repeat prescription a week before your Levothyroxine runs out. Your GP receptionist will tell you how to do it.


Thanks Clutter. I just wanted to check she wasn't just fobbing me off.

I just don't understand how I feel more tired than when on 50s and why I've missed a period again. Since starting Levo they were still irregular but had returned to monthly.

Will wait and see if my b12 injection makes any difference next week.

Thanks again


You may also like...