Thyroid UK
89,045 members103,575 posts

Help with blood test results

Hello - new here and hoping to get some advice! I was getting symptoms of hyperthyroidism, completely thought it was my contraceptive (I’ve struggled with endometriosis symptoms since a kid too) but the gyno came to the conclusion that sudden weight gain, hot flashes, anxiety, digestion problems and recurring diarrhea must be a sign of a thyroid problem (my mom has hyperthyroidism). Here are the results from over the past three years, in the first two tests (taken in Belgium) the T4 range was 9.0 to 19, whereas now I’ve been tested in the UK and it’s 12-22… Should I be worried? What should I do now?

2015:

Free T4 (15)

TSH (3,082)

2016:

Free T4 (12,8)

TSH (2,700)

2017: (just now)

Free T4 (19,1)

TSH (2,36)

4 Replies
oldestnewest

TSH (3,082)

Is that number over three thousand or is it just over 3?

Over 3 - sorry I just copied it down the way it was written in the results :)

2015:

Free T4 : 15 (9 - 19)

TSH (3.082)

2016:

Free T4 : 12.8 (9 - 19)

TSH (2.700)

2017: (just now)

Free T4 : 19.1 (12 - 22)

TSH (2.36)

A TSH of over 3 is definitely suggesting that you might be on the road to hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid). The two later TSH results are also slightly suggestive of a thyroid which might be in trouble. I don't know of anywhere where you would get an official diagnosis yet though.

In the meantime, when you get your thyroid tested, make sure you get blood taken first thing in the morning, by 9am at the latest, and have the blood taken while fasting. Doing this maximises your TSH, and since that is what doctors pay attention to we all have to play the system to our advantage if we need a diagnosis. It helps to keep conditions for each test as similar as possible to maximise the comparability of the tests.

Another thing to be aware of is that hypothyroidism reduces the amount of stomach acid we produce, thus making it difficult for the gut to extract nutrients from food. Many of us end up deficient as a result. You might want to ask for tests of your nutrient levels. The most important ones are iron/ferritin, vitamin D, vitamin B12 and folate. If you can get a full iron panel and a full blood count that would be great, but don't hold your breath...

If you have nutrient levels which are lower than optimal then fixing those will help you a lot. Please note that optimal is not the same as being just anywhere within the reference range or within spitting distance of the range.

For your thyroid the ideal would be for you to get the following tests done :

TSH

Free T4

Free T3

TPO Antibodies

Tg Antibodies

To get all those done though you would probably have to pay.

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/testin...

medichecks.com/thyroid-health

bluehorizonmedicals.co.uk/t...

Don't worry about the ranges. They are they are the range for the machine used so highly likely differences can vary a lot but it's why we always make a point of saying ranges must be given or else we haven't a clue of what they may be. A case in point my local hospital has a top of range for FT3 of 6.8 but I travel to another town about 15 miles away where the top of range is 5.7 so very different. Obviously the bottom of the range varies as well. It can't remember them. I'm only interested in getting my FT3 high in the range!

So you just need to work out where you are in each range for comparison

You may also like...