Advice on low t3, high t4

Hi, I have been suffering from exhaustion, fatigue, muscle aches, dry skin, constipation, foggy headed etc for almost 2 years. Blood tests with doctor all came back normal (Would not do T3 or T4 or antibodies). She felt I was menopausal despite FSH being normal and wants to put me on HRT. Had bloods done privately and results are as follows:

THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 1.72mIU/L 0.27 - 4.20

FREE THYROXINE 18.56 pmol/L 12.00 - 22.00

TOTAL THYROXINE(T4) 142.2 nmol/L 59.00 - 154.00

FREE T3 3.2 pmol/L 3.10 - 6.80

THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODY <10 IU/mL 0.00 - 115.00

THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES 21.21 IU/mL 0.00 - 34.00

VITAMIN B12289 pmol/L 140.00 - 724.00

FOLATE (SERUM) >19.98 ug/L 2.91 - 50.00

Inflammation Marker

CRP - HIGH SENSITIVITY 5 mg/l 0.00 - 5.00

FERRITIN*157.6 ug/L 13.00 - 150.00

Both my parents are on thyroxine.

I have been taking B12 since the bloods. I was advised by TPAUK to try NDT and started this 3 weeks ago, energy levels have increased by I have been feeling hot and a bit light headed so concerned I maybe should not have gone this route? Advice please. - Taking 1grain Thyroid-S.

7 Replies
oldestnewest

Given how badly you convert, NDT may contain too much T4 for you. Personally, I would try T3 only.

Can you recommend any? I have been given websites from TPAUK but not sure what to buy and also how much to take.

These day, you have to get what you can, where you can. T3 is no-longer that easy to come by, we can't be fussy.

With hormones, you always start low, and increase slowly. So, start with a quarter tablet, and increase by a quarter every two weeks, until you get to one tablet, then hold for six weeks and test again. That's what I'd do, anyway. :)

Wesley10,

Were those results after 3 weeks on Thyroid-S or based on Levothyroxine? How much Levothyroxine were you taking?

These were bloods before starting NDT - Thyroid-S, started on ½ grain, now on 1 grain. The last few days noticed a little more energy but today started to feel a bit weird, very tired today and hot, felt a bit jittery like pulse too fast so worried I am increasing my already high T4 and not converting to T3. My doctor refuses to look at T3, insisting I am menopausal. I don't want to take HRT, especially as family history of cancer and thrombosis, plus does not explain why FSH is normal, but there is obviously something amiss with the thyroid, especially why I am not converting T4 to T3. Don't have RT3 reading. Not sure what to do or where to turn but hate feeling so yucky.

Can anyone help shed some light on why I'm not converting t4 to t3 and if I can do anything to solve this. I am taking vitamin d, b12, selenium, zinc and magnesium and also adrenal support. I feel wretched. Tired, foggy headed, every joint and muscle seems to ache and is very weak. Feeling desperate. Taking 1 grain of thyroid-s but worried I'm going down the wrong path and may be making it worse. Doctor doesn't want to know other than put me on menopause HRT patches even though I'm not showing signs of menopause in bold results as FSH normal, no sweats etc but temperature is up and down. Mainly cold but can get warm.

Menopause with hypothyroidism is nightmare. My gp prescribed HRT which just made me put on more weight. She puts weight gain down to middle age i find big problem with hypothyroidism is fluid retention and am sure levothyroxine gives you bloated belly, which i never used to have. I cant even use biodentical progesterone cream as causes fluid retention grrrr!!

You may also like...