Thyroid UK
84,141 members99,124 posts

How much folate should I take?

I posted results on here yesterday and I just wondered if I should take more than 400mcg folate (solgar) daily as I am low and if there was any way of reducing cholesterol (apart from statins as dr suggested) ~ I don't eat a lot, no junk food but no 'reduced fat' food either ~ always been slim by nature, but for several years have acquired HUGE abdomen ~ with the skinny limbs, I look like a bulbous stick insect lol!! Thank you x

3 Replies
oldestnewest

Mamapea1 I've checked your post from yesterday and see there were no replies. Looking through, there doesn't seem to be any red flags for most of your results, but I've listed these to comment on here.

B12 362 (191 - 663)

Folate 2.8. (3.90 -26.80)

Ferritin. 55. (15 - 350)

Vit D. 100 >50

FT3 4.9 ( 2.80 - 7.10)

FT4 20.4 (9.00 -26.00)

TSH 0.37 (0.27 - 4.20)

First of all, your doctor's comment about your folate being "a bit low" should have been followed up. It is below range so that means folate deficiency and he should be addressing that.

As folate and B12 work together and B12 below 500 can cause neurological problems, check to see if you have any signs and symptoms of B12 Deficiency here

b12deficiency.info/signs-an...

If you have then (1) pop over to the Pernicious Anaemia Society forum here on Health Unlocked for further advice (mention your ferritin level as well) and (2) Discuss with your GP.

healthunlocked.com/pasoc

If you don't have any signs of B12 Deficiency then you should supplement with sublingual methylcobalamin lozenges 5000mcg daily and when the bottle is finished buy some 1000mcg as a maintenance dose.

When taking B12 we need a B Complex to balance all the B vitamins, buy a good quality brand containing methylfolate.

Ferritin. 55. (15 - 350)

Ferritin needs to be half way through it's range for thyroid hormone to work. You need to supplement with iron tablets, taking each one with 1000mg Vit C to aid absorption and help prevent constipation. Take iron four hours away from thyroid meds and two hours away from any other medication and supplements as it affects their absorption.

Also, eat liver once a week, maximum 200g, and include lots of iron rich foods in your diet

apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/in...

Vit D. 100 >50

Recommended level is 100-150nmol/L according to the Vit D Council, so continue with a maintenance dose of D3 to keep your level within the recommended range.

There are important cofactors needed when taking D3 which you can read about here

vitamindcouncil.org/about-v...

D3 aids absorption of calcium from food and K2-MK7 directs the calcium to bones and teeth where it is needed and away from arteries and soft tissues where it can be deposited and cause problems.

D3 and K2 are fat soluble so should be taken with the fattiest meal of the day, D3 four hours away from thyroid meds.

Magnesium comes in different forms, check here to see which would suit you best and as it's calming it's best taken in the evening, four hours away from thyroid meds

naturalnews.com/046401_magn...

FT3 4.9 ( 2.80 - 7.10)

FT4 20.4 (9.00 -26.00)

TSH 0.37 (0.27 - 4.20)

Your FT4 is 67% through it's range so not bad, but FT3 a bit lower than where most hypo patients feel best and if you are symptomatic then it could be that your Levo isn't being absorbed and utilised properly due to the low nutrient levels mentioned above, particularly ferritin. Once those are optimised things may improve.

Do you take any other medication that may be affecting absorption?

Also, your FT3 is only 48% through it's range and most of us feel best when it's on the upper quarter so that would be around 6+ with your range. Your T4 to T3 conversion could be better, the low ferritin will be hampering that so you must get that sorted. Also, supplementing with selenium helps conversion. A good level of zinc is necessary for good conversion too but you'd need to get that tested before supplementing.

Thank you so much! Your advice is a breath of fresh air to me ~ excuse pun ~ I'm afraid my GP whilst having a pleasant disposition, is not knowledgable and she is keeping me ill. I do have symptoms of B12 deficiency, but she always says results are fine and has never heard of SIBO etc. I have been taking Better You B12 spray 1200 mcg daily but obviously not enough ~ so I'll start on larger dose pronto. I'm very much hoping to get well once I get deficiencies sorted ~ I have been so ill for so long ~ but I feel like I'm at least moving in the right direction thanks to the kindness and sage advice from yourself et al. THANK YOU x

1 like

Mamapea, as you have symptoms of B12 Deficiency, then I would just pop over to the Pernicious Anaemia Society forum and see what they suggest. Even though you are taking a B12 spray, this might not be enough. Being symptomatic it might be best to test for Pernicious Anaemia. See what they say then if necessary discuss with your GP.

You may also like...