What could be wrong?

I am a 19 year old female living in the UK. I am all well and healthy besides having ME/CFS. For as long as I can remember I have had an awful lot of trouble controlling my body temperature.

As a child, I used to go to bed and wake up soaking wet as a result from sweating, even wearing short pyjamas and sleeping with the window open.

Still now, even in winter, I have to sleep with a thin sheet, have the window open and on occassions sleep with a fan, but still struggle to get to sleep due to feeling too hot. I will often wake up in sweats like I did as a child too.

It's not just when I sleep too, it's whenever I am inside, I have to wear minimal clothing else I just end up sweating through it.

I find it almost impossible to put on weight, too, which I have put down to the amount of heat which my body produces. I am 5ft10 and weigh 9stone.

I have had several blood tests which have ruled out thyroid problems, all my results were normal besides ANA, which was positive (though lots of people have positive ANA and are healthy) though this was never further investigated.

Does anyone have anything similar to this or could give any information as to whether this could be thyroid related as I have really just had enough of feeling hot all of the time.

Thankyou :)

Last edited by

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Please can you post a copy of your latest thyroid blood test results with their ranges.

Post in the form test name, result (range) e.g

TSH 4.5 (0.35 - 4.5)

The reason for this is many people have struggling thyroids and aren't diagnosed for years.

If you haven't got them I suggest you go to your doctor and ask for them. You may have to pay for them if the tests were a long time ago. If you are asked why you want them by the receptionist simply state for your own records. You are likely to have to fill in a form and wait a couple of days before they are given to you.

If you have any difficulty getting them, start a new thread and people with give you detailed advice on getting them.

• Welcome to our forum. The first lesson on this forum is that we don't accept 'normal' 'fine' or 'ok' with regards to blood tests. You may be hypothyriod and I'll give you a list of clinical symptoms.

I believe that most of all people with CFS/ME could well be hypothyroid but because the TSH hasn't risen high enough that they're given another diagnosis when they might need thyroid hormones for hypothyroidism.

healthrising.org/blog/2016/...

What you should now do is arrange for a new blood test. It has to be the very earliest possible (as TSH is highest then) fasting (you can drink water) and if on thyroid hormones you'd allow a gap of 24 hours between last dose and test.

Thousands of people are misdiagnosed due to the modern method of doctors not knowing any clinical symptoms and told to diagnose by the TSH alone.

Ask GP to test (as you've contacted the NHS Choices for information Thyroiduk.org.uk)

TSH, T4, T3, T4, Free T4, Free T3, and thyroid antibodies (antibodies are important). Vitamin B12, Vit D, iron, ferritin and folate.

Always get print-outs from the surgery with the ranges (these are important as labs differ) as it makes it easier to comment.

If the labs wont do all of these tests as they believe TSH and T4 alone are necessary we have private labs that do home tests. T4 is an inactive thyroid hormone. If our body doesn't produce sufficient into T3 (the only active thyrid hormone which is required in our billions of receptor cells) then body cannot function normally.

Below are hypo and hyper symptoms..

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

If you have thyroid antibodies present in your blood you'd have an Autoimmune Thyroid Condition called Hashimoto's - the commonest form of hypothyroidism. Treatment is the same as hypothyroidism.

You may also like...