Is it my thyroid?

I'm at my wits end and doctors won't test my blood as my levels r within normal range! In march it was 2.84 . But I don't feel good with all different symptoms.. I am taking 150mcg. I also am on hrt patches as had hysterectomy 2012(age 39). And July 16 had endoscopy which showed a sliding hiatus hernia which I'm struggling with as I have got a lot of burnIng in stomach and chest amongst other things.. right now I'm tired and my hair is comimg out in long strands arghj, I'm freezing cold to point of my hands r so cold and so was tip of my nose.. I have humming type sound in my ears, anxiety but I think that's cos and get panicky about any pains I get etc :(.. I can't bend over without getting discomfort in stomach and chest area. Raise arms up as well without feeling discomfort and either sweat or feel cold with it, I just feel so bloody uncomfortable and I wondered as well am I possibly low in iron? I'm craving food especially carbs, it's a nightmare as I need to lose a lot of weight not gain it! I don't know what to do but I feel like cryIng as I feel a mix of cold and warm.. what is that all about ?? I take levothyroxine. And about an hour after taking it I feel freezin cold ..anybody else get that or any of these symptoms that I have ??????

Skip

Featured Content

Join our community

The community helps everyone affected by thyroid conditions by providing support, information and guidance.

Follow

Featured by HealthUnlocked

15 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi

I'm no expert for starters. But

I was feeling a bit bad you'd had no replies. Then read some of your previous posts.

You need to take some of the advice that many other knowledgeable and generous people who have taken the time to read your posts and type out wise advice to you.

Get some private bloods done - t4 t3 as well as your TSH. Get your nutrients tested - vitamin b12, D ferritin and folate for starters - these are important to you converting your levo - t4 to t3 and how you feel generally.

Stop taking HRT

I had a hysterectomy at 32 and managed just fine without HRT.

Are you hashimotos ? Have you had an antibodies test ? If not the private bloods will test for this.

Try going gluten free. Not just a bit but fully, even separate toaster & spread ect from others in your house.

You need to take control of your health

• I don't think it's a good idea for me to stop hrt as was told it's best for me to be on it so why would it be a idea for me to stop it? Was u not allowed to use it or ?.. I know I'd probably be worse sweat wise etc if I didn't use it..

as for hashimoto ! Absolutely no idea lol .. how do I go about getting private bloods done and how much does it cost for that?? I had b12,folate, ferritin tested : b12 was at 275, ferritin was low at 39, and folate wasn't a very high number either

• Jojowilts43,

You don't need another thyroid blood test, you need a dose increase. TSH 2.84 is too high for someone taking Levothyroxine. Most people feel better with TSH between 0.27 - 1.0 which is also in normal range.

The goal of Levothyroxine is to restore the patient to euthyroid status. For most patients that will be when TSH is 1.0 or lower with FT4 in the upper range. FT4 needs to be in the upper range in order that sufficient T3 is converted. Read Treatment Options in thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_... Email louise.roberts@thyroiduk.org.uk if you would like a copy of the Pulse article to show your GP.

Hypothyroid patients are often low in ferritin, vitamin D, B12 and folate so see if you can persuade your doctor to test them as symptoms can be similar to hypothyroid symptoms.

• Hi I've had B12, ferritin and folate tested already

B12 - 275

Folate - can't remember but know it wasn't a very high number

Ferritin - 39 which was at low end as range went from 30- upwards to very very high number

• Jojojowilts43,

Ask healthunlocked.com/pasoc for advice about low B12 and folate. Signs of B12 deficiency are b12deficiency.info/signs-an...

Ferritin is optimal halfway through range and many people say that hair loss is likely when ferritin is <70. You can raise ferritin by supplementing iron. Take each iron tablet with 1,000mg vitamin C to aid absorption and minimise constipation. Iron should be taken 4 hours away from Levothyroxine.

• Email Louise.Roberts@thyroiduk.org.uk. roberts@thyroiduk.org.uk for a copy of Dr Tofts PULSE article written for GPS and give that to your gp

• I agree completely with what Clutter and reallyfedup123 have advised. And yes you are under medicated. As you've been told numerous times before. You have posts going back at least 10 months saying pretty much the same thing with lots of the same advice. But if your not willing to act on it and take control of your health then Nobody can help you.

Have you requested supplements for you low nutrients from your doctor ? How did you get on ?

I'm on the sick and every penny counts, but I've still managed to buy my own supplements and save up for my own private blood tests. Its hard but not impossibles. After 30 years of poor treatment from doctors I decided to take control and have made it my mission to learn about my condition and what I can do to improve it.

I've read A LOT on here and learned a lot from the wonderful and generous people on here that go out of their way to offer advice and share their experiences. I'd recommend you do the same.

Clutter I suggested a blood test as a good starting point for her to start taking control of her health. I've spent 30 years going to the doctors being told your levels are fine it's not your thyroid. And perhaps it's just me but I haven't got the patience or energy to continue banging my head against a brick wall with doctors

Sorry if I sound harsh / narky ( Rapunzel would be proud 😂 ) And I'm not saying all you symptoms are definitely thyroid. But you are under medicated and until you address that as you have been advised to for months. Then you won't know what other problems may need addressing.

• Basically I came on here to ask if anybody's else has the same symptoms as me. That is what I asked .. I have had b12, ferritIn, folate tested and nothing got said about the results by my doctor and they've the ones that u would trust to be able to tell u what to do and what is right or wrong?!..-'and how can i request supplements from my doctor if they obviously don't think any of my results are low LOL ?.. They wouldn't even test my blood yesterday cos a far as they r concerned mine t r okay when it comes to my thyroid.. so what do you take then? Yeh sorry but please don't be narky with me as there is no need to be plus I can. Bite back so u know ha ha !

• Yes you came asking if other people have the same symptoms as you have been doing for at least 9 months. 9 months ago you said you vitamin b12 was low at 275 What have done about it ?

In your last post 1 month ago you said 'what can I do to get my levels up ? shaws from admin told you to speak to your gp as you CAN get them prescribed. But even if you couldn't its YOUR health surely in 9 months you could manage to stretch to £8-10 to get some vitamin b12 ?

You also had a lot of wonderfully well informed and in depth information from magsyh in response to your last post.

You posted 8 months ago - 'Freezing cold Again' Your first response was from SeasideSusie who gave you wonderful well researched in depth advice on how to help your self and improve your health. She also asked if you'd done anything after receiving equally good advice from greygoose a month earlier. She also gave you the details of the Pulse article and recommended you email Louise Roberts for the article to take to your doctor. DID YOU EVER DO THAT ? ? The same advice you have received today from another member.

My point us what the hell is the point of keep moaning about these things if your not going to listen to any advice or take any action to help yourself. Your just wasting peoples time and energy. N guess what most of us are on here because we are not 100% so energy is limited !

Hey but guess what. In the last couple of months I've gone from feeling rotten to feeling SO much better. Because I got my blue horizon tests done. Started taking vitamin b12 and d3 and b complex to improve my levels. I've also upped my levo from what my doc thinks I should be on and added some t3. And guess what I'm starting to feel great. Because I've listened, learned and done something about it other than just moaning.

Take control of your health and your life and you'll feel a whole lot better

Just off to walk my dogs in the sunshine 👍

• Excuse mebut U don't know me or my life or the crap I've got gone thru ok so please do not Moan at me clearly u want to do so one please thanks as I don't need moans ok by the way. I also suffe with panics and anxiety so cheers for having a go at me!! Please don't message me again as I rather not hear from u .. u have no idea how I feel rude woman

• Unfortunately, doctors know nothing about nutrition, not a thing! They think results are 'fine' if they are anywhere in range. But, we know it's not true.

If you don't know what to take or how much, just post your results in a new post and ask. And I'm sure that lots of people will tell you exactly what and how much you should be taking, and all the cofactors and everything you need to know. But, only do it if you intend to take their advice. If you think doctors know best, then there's no point in even asking.

• How would I know which supplements I need to take? Plus we are all differ so what one might need another may not .. all this thyroid info is swamping for sure it's mental.. t3,t4,ft3 etc I've no clue what it all means and I wouldn't know how to get private bloods done or what I need to take either

• Jojojowilts43,

Ferrous Fumarate 210mg is a good iron supplement and is available from Amazon. VitC is also available from Amazon or pharmacies and supermarkets. If you buy from Amazon please use the affiliate link healthunlocked.com/thyroidu...

• Try going back and reading carefully all the advice you've had to all your previous posts over the last 9 / more months. All the info is there. Its truely not that hard !

• Having had ringing ears for years, I sympathise with you. Have found head exercises helpful

turning head slowly from side and up and down. I Usually have a crackly sensation as my head turns which might be a build up of crystals round the joints of the neck and head.

Phytoestrogen might help you. However if you have been on HRT drugs you will have to get advice

on how to wean yourself off them, as you might feel dreadful if you remove them in one go.

I took a drug called primulut - one dose was enough, as felt so peculiar that I stopped it.

The coldness may be due to being overweight with a circulatory disease, in conjunction with a thyroid condition. As you have discomfort in bending, when you lose weight the distension might

lessen and make you more comfortable. You might have gluten intolerance which can affect your

intestines giving stomach bloat. White flour might produce symptoms of bloating and discomfort.

Have found that removing /reducing white flour in cakes and biscuits which also contain raising agents helps symptoms. Certain supermarkets do gluten free food in store and online.

If you don't get about much, try to increase your circulation by doing a short walk every day,

or having a go at an exercise bike for a few minutes a day before you slowly build up your time

on the machine. Changing your diet, cutting down cakes sweets and biscuits canned sweetened drinks, including slim line tonic where some brands convert sweeteners to glucose in the liver.

Watch fruit sugar in tomato juice as well as fruit juices. Rely on high proteins such as cottage

cheese, and salads and have red meat less often, fish and eggs and cheese and milk are a good source of protein and contain fat. Screen out any food intolerances - cucumber - cheddar cheese etc. As cheddar cheese contains histamines, it might create an autoimmune effect.

Iodine found in fish, sea foods, fish paste, yoghurt, and milk, might help. If your thyroid is near normal, you can still have problems with your thyroid. If you find an endocrinologist to do the tests

you may get a more sympathetic response. Due to cuts may be not all of your thyroid tests have been done. Try a change in diet, the exercise, and head exercises every day slowly, and if you lose a few pounds over a month, pat yourself on the back. As you know cutting out meals does not help so four to five meals a day as snacks may help boost metabolism,

an eg of diet might be an apple for breakfast, or scrambled or boiled egg, with half a piece of toast

cut into strips. Tea or coffee. Midmorning snack fish paste spread on a ryvita, celery and cottage cheese. lunch ham with lettuce tomatoes, or fish, cottage cheese with any salad food.

or cooked foods such as casserole with cabbage, broccoli runner or green French beans.

Evening white fish, in parsley sauce, or au gratin, green vegs no potatoes .

Pudding can by natural yoghurt, low fat greekstyle, with blackcurrants, blackberry and apple,

or blueberries, or damsons. Take care -.

You may also like...