Thyroid UK
96,810 members110,621 posts

would anyone know in the uk if ndt would be cheaper for the gp as opposed to giving t3

this i would like to know if possible or where i can find out as i would liketo ask the gp and need my facts right first

11 Replies
oldestnewest

Pettals,

Yes it would.

100 x 2 grains NatureThroid which contains 76mcg T4 + 18mcg T3 costs around £56 (inc VAT) whereas 28 x 20mcg T3 costs £258+.

1 like

clutter thankyou is there any written legimate info that i can print off

Pettals,

If you know how much NDT you need you could ask Boots or one of the online pharmacies in thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/treatm... for a quote. The cost of Liothyronine will be in the BNF which your GP can access. I sourced that NDT cost from a site which doesn't require prescription.

thanks clutter

clutter can i ask where you got the above costingfrom because i can puta 'body' on th eheader to gp. thanks

Pettals,

It would be better to ask Boots, Lloyds or one of the online pharmacies I linked to above how much it would cost with a prescription.

yes without doubt NDT would be cheaper than T3

1 like

thanks really fed up, i will have to scout around, i would liketo prove apoint veryhard whenthey listen to the bta/btf.

ok will do that.

As NDT is an unlicensed "drug" in the UK the pharmacist must always ask permission to by it from (usually) the USA. Possible they actually order it from a central UK location, not sure. These procedures add a great deal to the cost to a patient, if a private prescription is used, of the basic cost to the pharmacist. Even so it is far less than the utterly ridiculous cost of liothyronine in the UK.

I realise this post is a little old now, but just thought I'd add my two penneth.

I've been taking NDT since October 2016. I now get it from one of the suppliers mentioned on Thyroid UK. They do need a prescription and I get this separately from a consultant I saw in London. The overall cost is very reasonable. Works out about 35 pence per tablet. So script £30 from man in London, send it pharmacy, they dispense it and send it by signed for post, arrives next day.

The initial cost of seeing the man in London was horrendous unfortunately!

You may also like...