Doctors apointme

Hello

I am going with my daughter who is an adult, to the doctors later. I wrote previously on here as she was overactive had an operation to remove part of her thyroid and is now underactive. She was taking a very low dose of Levothyroxine but felt awful so came off it. The doctors say her blood tests are fine though! What questions should I be asking and should I make sure they have tested for vitamin defficiancy?

Thank you

Skip

Featured Content

Join our community

The community helps everyone affected by thyroid conditions by providing support, information and guidance.

Follow

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Juju2763,

How can your daughter's thyroid blood tests be fine if she isn't taking the Levothyroxine she was prescribed? Can you post her thyroid results and ranges?

If your daughter felt worse on the Levothyroxine she was taking she should ask her pharmacist for an alternative make when she presents her next prescription.

We usually suggest that members ask for ferritin, vitamin D, B12 and folate to be tested in addition to TSH and FT4 if they continue to feel unwell on Levothyroxine.

• When your daughter has a blood test for thyroid hormones the test has to be the very earliest possible, fasting (she can drink water). If she was taking hormones she'd allow a gap of 24 hours between last dose and test and take them afterwards. This keeps the TSH at its highest as that's all doctors seem to notice. Nothing else and particularly symptoms they don't know anyway. Ask for a new test following this procedure and ask for Vit B12, Vit D, iron, ferritin and folate. Deficiences can cause us problems too.

You may also like...