NDT

I am switching from 75mcg Levothyroxine to Nature-Throid. How many grains should I start on?

STTM recommends everyone start on 1 grain and upping by 1/2 grain each fortnight until on 2-3 grain mark. Will that be too high of a dose considering current levo dose?

Self treating, I have hashis which GP is ignoring despite high TgAB and positive TPOab - he is stopping my Levo. Thinking of doing the switch tomorrow so just want to know correct starting dose.

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Living with a thyroid disease?

Connect with people like you to get support, advice and tips towards improving your health.

Get started

Featured by HealthUnlocked

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Sm85,

Do you have thyroid results and ranges from taking 75mcg? Why is your GP taking you off Levothyroxine?

1 grain NDT is equivalent to 65mcg Levothyroxine so starting at 1 grain is fine unless you are over medicated on 75mcg Levothyroxine. I would hold at 2 grains for 6-8 weeks and check thyroid levels before raising further. STTM can be a bit gung-ho about how much is required.

• Also did you mean 1 grain for 6-8wks then up to 2 grains and hold for 6-8wks?

• SM85,

No, you said you were following STTM protocol increasing 1/2 grain at 2 week intervals. I suggested holding for 6-8 weeks once you are taking 2 grains.

You weren't over medicated on 50mcg and there was scope to increase dose to improve FT4 and FT3.

High thyroglobulin antibodies are positive for autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's). There is no cure for Hashimoto's which causes 90% of hypothyroidism. Treatment is for the low thyroid levels it causes. Many people have found that 100% gluten-free diet is helpful in reducing Hashi flares, symptoms and eventually antibodies.

chriskresser.com/the-gluten...

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

• Thank you so much, this is very helpful.

• Hi clutter, glad I read your response. I came to self medicating via SSTM wish I came here first! I have been wondering why they say most settle on 3 to 5 grains! I am almost levelling off at 2! If I hadn't found this forum I would be increasing too fast and not have gained the knowledge and help I've had from you. Thank you.

• Hi @skyebeardie, what dose of Levo were you on and what dose of NDT did you take at the beginning? How often did you up it? Useful to know how others have fared as I know the general consensus is that STTM increases too fast.

• I was on 175 levo and doing badly. I switched to NDT starting 1 grain and made sure I was supplementing vitamins. I struggled for a month and nearly ditched the trial but kept reading the forum for support. I increased 1/4 every 2 weeks after a month. If I felt rough on increase I split the dose for 2 days. Then took it all at once at night. I am on 2 grains now. Having better days and sleep but still symptomatic with hashimoto's. 2 grains is near 175 levo. I will stay here for at least 3 weeks then try another 1/4. I am about 12 weeks along and my bloods look better, vitamins rising just B12 to improve. It's a journey. I found SSTM to be very NDT oriented and they suggest higher doses but I listen to my body and on advice from here slowed it all down.

• Thank you. GP told me antibodies don't matter (very high TGAB and within range tpoab, i.e. Hashis) and said TSH is normal. The lab would not retest thyroid antibodies for him due to normal TSH. This is my second GP without a clue so am going it alone.

My last bloods were recently T3 3.9 (3.1-6.8) and T4 16.9 (12.00-22.00) but those were taken after two months on 50mcg Levo. Symptoms persisted and he wouldn't up the dose so I increased myself to 75mcg for the last two weeks to see if any change.

I would really like to try NDT instead as looks like my conversion on 50mcg wasn't optimal so will try starting on 1 grain tomorrow.

I have been supplementing with iron, vit C, B12, selenium, zinc, Vit D and magnesium as advised here previously.

• When you reach 2 grains then only make increases in quarters as it can over shoot very easily. I was taking 100/125 Levo and settled on 1.75 grains but difficult to compare as I suspect as my Levo was t working well I was taking a higher dose to compensate

You may also like...