Hypothyroid for 11 Years

Have been hypothyroid for 11 years now and all of that time I have been on 50mcg of Levothyroxine each day. My doctor tells me my thyroid is only slightly underactive. However, I regularly feel tired but get on with things. I put on weight and it was during a range of tests that they found I had an underactive thyroid. I've lost 1st 9lbs which I found quite easy to lose but I'm finding it very difficult to lose any more. My eyebrows have also really thinned. Would welcome any advice.

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hey lea

Being hypothyroid is not a competition. You are either hypothyroid or not. Members will be able to help further if you put up your latest blood test results, with their ranges. This information will be available from your GP practice. Your bloods can be important in establishing what's missing to bring you to better health.

Well done on your weight loss which is very difficult to achieve with an underperforming thyroid :)

• Welcome to our forum. I am surprised you've been able to survive on only 50mcg of levothyroxine. The low dose could have contributed to unexplained weight gain.

'Slightly' underactive. We are either hypothyroid or not and if hypo we need sufficient hormones to relieve all clinical symptoms.

First, I'd request a new blood test if you've not had one for a while.

It should be the very earliest possible, fasting (you can drink water) and allow 24 hours gap between last dose of levo and take them after the test.

Levo should be taken on an empty somach with one full glass of water and wait about an hour before eating. Food can interfere with the uptake.

Ask GP for TSH, T4, T3, Free T4 and Free T3. Vitamin B12, Vit D, iron, ferritin and folate, If he (or lab) wont do them you can get a private tests for the ones they miss.

Get a print-out of your results with the ranges from the surgery (some charge a nominal sum for paper/ink) and post for comment.

I am guessing that your doctor is happy if your TSH is somewhere within the range, when we should have a TSH of 1 or lower.

Always request a copy of the blood tests for your own records (we are entitled by law to have them).

• Thank you for the information. I will do what you have suggested. I'm afraid my GP doesn't take my hypothyroidism very seriously because as he says I'm only slightly hypo and therefore shouldn't be having any side effects. I'll be more proactive re my hypo from now on. Many thanks.

• If members on here could have a wish fulfilled - it might be that doctors get 'slightly hypo' and if that were the case 'slightly' would drop out of their vocabulary. :)

Side effects are clinical symptoms I should bet, (if I were a betting woman) due to insufficient hormones. They don't appear to be aware that thyroid hormones run our whole metabolism, from head to toe and our brain and heart need optimum doses to function as do the billions of receptor cells. They all need T3. T4 (levothyroxine) has to be sufficient to convert to T3 which is the only active hormone our cells require.

• To start with, just tick off your symptoms :)

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

• Have a range of these symptoms. Really good information. Thank you. Will follow up.

• In order to get well we have to do our own research, ask questions and members on this forum will assist.

• Thank you.

• Cannot remember being slightly pregnant - tiz one thing or the other I am afraid :-)

• Well said!

You may also like...