T3 only

I have now been on T3 for three weeks taking 12.5 daily, I feel so much better on it but would like to come of my T4. Has anybody got any advice on that, my new blood results are..

TSH 0.03 (0.35-5.5)

Free T4 13.6 (9-24)

Total T3 2.1 (0.9-2.8)

My endo after reading these results told me to cut down levothyroxine from 75 to 50mcg unfortunately my pharmacist says he can't get teva lactose free levo in 50mcg tablets. I would rather just take T3 but a little apprehensive. any advice would be really appreciated.

Tanya

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • Tanya-B,

3 weeks isn't long enough for FT3 to respond to the 12.5mcg T3 dose. FT3 is likely to be still rising. FT4 is low in range so I can only assume your endo wanted you to reduce Levothyroxine in order to raise your TSH.

It would be much better to wait until you have been taking T4+T3 for a couple of months and see how you feel then as well as checking TSH, FT4 and FT3 to see whether you are optimally medicated before switching to T3 only. I find T4+T3 is a smoother ride than T3 only.

However, if you are determined, 75mcg Levothyroxine is equivalent to 25mcg T3 so you would need to increase dose to 37.5mcg and retest in 6-8 weeks to check FT3 level.

You may also like...