Test including t3 rt3

Hello again,

I have my results back from blue horizons. I would welcome people's help in interpreting them. Thanks so much, in advance :o) :

CRP 3.10. (<5.0) mg/L

Ferritin. 50.8. (20-150) ug/L

TSH. 3.53. (0.27-4.20) Mlu/L

T4 total. 89.3. (64.5-142.0) Nmol/L

Free T4. 17.13. (12-22) pmol/L

Free T3. 4.31. (3.1-6.8) pmol/L

RT3. 25.0. *flagged as high. (10-24) ng/dl

RT3 ratio. 11.22. *flagged as low (normal >15, borderline 12-15, low <12)

Anti-thyroidperoxidase abs. 12.8. (<34) klu/L

Anti-thyroglubulin abs. <10. (<115) klu/L

Vit D. (25OH) what does OH mean?? 79 this is up from 38 :o)

Vit B12 1476. * flagged as high but have been self injecting, so I would expect result. (Consider reduce dose >725)

Folate. >45.400. (8.83-60.8) nmol/L

I particularly need help interpreting the antibodies and t3 results Thank so much! Xxx

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Cuileann-6

Ferritin. 50.8. (20-150) ug/L - this is low. Ferritin needs to be at least 70 for thyroid hormone to work properly, half way through it's range is better, and for females 100-130 is best. You can supplement with iron tablets, taking each one with 1000mg Vit C to aid absorption and help prevent constipation, taking iron four hours away from thyroid meds, or eat liver once a week which will raise Ferritin.

TSH. 3.53. (0.27-4.20) Mlu/L - too high. For a treated hypo patient it's generally best around 1 or below.

T4 total. 89.3. (64.5-142.0) Nmol/L - not enough T4, this should increase as you increase your Levo.

Free T4. 17.13. (12-22) pmol/L - rather low for a treated hypo patient, most people feel best when it's at the upper end of the range.

Free T3. 4.31. (3.1-6.8) pmol/L - rather low for a treated hypo patient, most people feel best when it's at the upper end of the range.

You have to bear in mind that you've only been on Levo for a couple of weeks and it hasn't had time to fully take effect yet. I'm puzzled as to why you've had this test done at this time???

RT3. 25.0. *flagged as high. (10-24) ng/dl

RT3 ratio. 11.22. *flagged as low (normal >15, borderline 12-15, low <12)

RT3 ratio should be over 20. If you were further along with your thyroid treatment I would suggest maybe addressing this, but I think you should following the normal protocol when first diagnosed and started on Levo for now, ie re-testing 6-8 weeks after starting Levo, increase by 25mcg, re-testing after another 6-8 weeks, increase Levo, etc, until your TSH is around 1 and free Ts in the upper part of their ranges.

Anti-thyroidperoxidase abs. 12.8. (<34) klu/L

Anti-thyroglubulin abs. <10. (<115) klu/L

Both well under range, no Hashimoto's.

Vit D. (25OH) what does OH mean?? 79 this is up from 38 :o) - that's just the name of that particular test, which is the normal one. Recommended level is 100-150nmol/L. If you are supplementing you should continue until you reach the recommended level then go onto a maintenance dose. Are you taking D3's important co-factors K2-MK7 and magnesium?

• Hi SeasideSusie! Thanks so much for getting back to me so promptly. That's really helpful. I had a more comprehensive package of tests done, as wanted to know for sure what all my levels were before I embarked on treatment, so I could compare. But also to rule out Hashimoto's (which you've helped me :o) and to have an accurate picture of my RT3 levels. I am thinking ahead possibly combining thyroxine with t3.

My ferritin, folate and vit D levels are very slowly increasing. I've been taking Solgar's Gentle Iron but tried Ferrous sulphate a few days ago and has a horrible reaction. Stomach pains feeling very sick. I'll try again to make sure it is indeed these.

I am vit K and magnesium with Vit D after seeing another post, which was really helpful.

I need to get some Vit C to take with iron though.

I was interested to read just now about rt3:

verywell.com/the-role-of-re...

It discusses 'cellular hypothyroidism' which is of interest to me, as my results seem to suggest this. Interesting stuff.

So, thanks again, so much, for confirming things for me. It's a game of patience isn't it?!

Hope you are doing ok at the moment xxx

You may also like...