Need help understanding results

Could someone please help me to understand my results. I have high TPO and TG antibodies as well and they are in my first post. I just don't know what to make of these results or what I am doing wrong. I am at my wit's end at trying to understand.

Serum ferritin - 16 (15 - 150 ug/L)

Serum folate - 2.37 (2.50 - 19.50 ug/L)

Serum vitamin B12 - 196 (180 - 900 pg/L)

Total 25 OH vitamin D - 41.5 (>75 nmol/L adequate vitamin D)

Ferritin my doctor wants me to take 3 tablets a day but my stomach feels heavy after taking just one. I am aware I need to take iron tablets because I have heavy periods. I have been taking iron since 2013 and ferritin has never gone high.

Folate I eat a lot of folate rich foods and doctor can't explain deficiency so prescribed me folic acid 5mg once a day. I was deficient before in 2013 but the reason behind that was because I just hardly ate. Now my diet is better it has gone low again.

Vitamin B12 was 100 points higher about a week before these results. B12 was redone to prepare for haematology appointment.

Vitamin D keeps getting prescribed and removed and prescribed again by the doctor I wish I knew why. I give up taking the 1000iu ones I have been taking since 2015 because my vitamin D just does not rise on this.

Last edited by

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Are you taking any other medications

Are you gluten and dairy free

Do you take betaine or pepsin with meals

Do you eat liver

Your ferritin ,folate and b12 are far far too low and unless all are at least halfway in their ranges your body cannot convert the t4 in levothyroxine into the t3 that every body cell needs to function

• I do take other medications but not every day just as and when I need to, they are mainly lansoprazole, Valium and sertraline. I am not gluten and dairy free and since I have been eating better I have noticed my folate level drops and this seems to happen when I eat pasta or bread and this has made the doctor think I need a coeliac screen. I don't take betaine or pepsin with meals and I don't eat liver either.

• Sadly then you are clearly causing your own problems

taking any of those meds blocks absorbing vitamins and iron ............

you need to instead eat liver at least once a week

take betaine/pepsin with meals and go totally gluten free and then your vitamin levels and your health should rapidly improve

• You will see, time and time again on here lots of information and advice about importance of good levels of B12, folate, ferritin and vitamin D, low stomach acid, leaky gut and most importantly food intolerances, usually gluten, in connection to autoimmune Hashimoto's

thyroidpharmacist.com

Excellent web based document-series - re-running, starting March 1st

Masses of advice for all thyroid issues, but especially for Hashimoto's or Graves

thethyroidsecret.com/trailer/

chriskresser.com/the-gluten...

hypothyroidmom.com/92-of-ha...

amymyersmd.com

drknews.com

You may also like...