Blood results

Hello,

Wondering if somebody can help me with my results... still waiting on a few to come but a very unhelpful receptionist did let me have this info. Seeing a doctor Wednesday but wanted to know if anyone knew what this meant.

TSH: 0.71

T4: 18.5

T3: 5

I have hashimotos and currently feeling very unwell. Wondering if anyone notices something in my results that I should?

Also - I took my medication the morning of the blood test. Would this effect it too?

Thanks x

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • 24_1919 Yes, taking your medication before your blood test does affect it, it has the effect of lowering your TSH and when we're looking for an increase in dose or to avoid a reduction then we want TSH to be as high as possible. Leaving Levo off for 24 hours and fasting overnight, with water only, are recommended when having blood tests done for thyroid.

Without the reference ranges it's guesswork, but those results don't look as though there's any actual problem, your GP is going to say they are in range. FT4 is possible in the top third and FT3 possibly near the top of range, but as I said, it's guesswork.

Are you addressing your Hashi's by being gluten free and supplementing with 200mcg selenium daily to help reduce the antibodies?

• Thank you - I get my other results wednesday so will look at them then.

Yes I am gluten free but don't take selinium. I have never had this mentioned before. Do you recommend it?

My antibodies are just over 1000 - fluctuating to 900 at my lowest. I have a new doctor so hoping they will help me address this alongside my endocrinologist.

Thank you,

Sophie

• 24_1919 Selenium is supposed to help reduce antibodies, plus it helps T4 to T3 conversion. So it's a win-win for hypo patients, whether Hashi's or not.

Most doctors don't know much, if anything, about antibodies and how being gluten free and taking selenium can help. They just see autoimmune thyroid disease aka eventually hypothyroidism. Quite a few members have been told high antibodies are normal, or that high antibodies don't mean autoimmune thyroid disease. Hopefully you've got a doctor who knows his stuff.

• ask GP to check levels of vitamin d, b12, folate and ferratin. These all need to at good (not just average) levels for thyroid hormones (our own or replacement ones) to work in our cells

You will see, time and time again on here lots of information and advice about importance of good levels of B12, folate, ferritin and vitamin D, low stomach acid, leaky gut and gluten connection to autoimmune Hashimoto's

thyroidpharmacist.com

Very informative Thyroid web series due to re-shown starting March 1st

thethyroidsecret.com/trailer/

chriskresser.com/the-gluten...

hypothyroidmom.com/92-of-ha...

amymyersmd.com

drknews.com

You may also like...