Thyroid UK
82,705 members97,739 posts


My daughter has been complaining of the cold, cold feet and hands, tired, eyelashes falling out, hair thinning and dry patches on her eyelids. the doctor tested for her thyroid but said it was fine her tsh was 1.8 (range 0.4 - 4.2) her t4 was 14 (range 9 - 21) - she has tried lots of different creams but has ultra sensitive skin and nothing has helped and her eyelashes are still falling out. there is a history of hypothyroidism in our family. I think her thyroid is struggling but the doc wont do a t3 test and said she is fine

4 Replies

Would she do a private test so she could see what her antibodies and t3 look like? Then if it showed her thyroid was struggling she could decide if she's like to try self-medicating w ndt.

1 like

low TSH and fairly low free T4 its highly likely she has Central Hypothyroid its pituarity failure and different

the GP clearly is only thinking about Primary hypothyroid because thats all they get taught

1 like

yes funny you should say that - when she had her blood results she had high oestradiol and apparently that is linked to the thyroid - any idea what this means or what she should do - sorry I meant to say it is linked to t he pituitary gland


ask GP to check levels of vitamin d, b12, folate and ferratin. These all need to at good (not just average) levels for thyroid hormones (our own or replacement ones) to work in our cells

Also do you know if she has had thyroid antibodies checked? There are two sorts TPO Ab and TG Ab. (Thyroid peroxidase and thyroglobulin) Both need checking, if either, or both antibodies are high this means autoimmune thyroid - called Hashimoto's the most common cause in UK of being hypo.

TPO is rarely checked and TG almost never checked. More common to have high TPO or high TPO AND high TG, but negative TPO and raised TG is possible, though rarer.

ALWAYS Make sure you get the actual figures from tests (including ranges - figures in brackets). You are entitled to copies of your own results. When you get results suggest you make a new post on here and members can offer advice on results

If you can not get GP to do these tests, then like many of us, you can get them done privately


You may also like...