Can't control Hashimoto with medication?

As I mentioned in my other posts - I can never find my 'perfect' dose and I keep feeling worse and worse everyday. Severe dull headaches, dizziness, vasovagal syncope after I move a bit, never losing weight despite diet, 95BMP heartrate, hot flashes etc.

I have to rest all day and can't do anything because I will be out of breath even with a small housework, and I will get a fainting spell. No one is getting why this is happening and I don't get why.

Been subscribed Duloxetine now and I've been 2months on it and nothing changed.

I'm on Levo with 50mg 6x a week and 1x 25mg and STILL feel worse. I can't take 50mg everyday because my TSH will drop below .0 and still won't feel fine.

What is wrong with me?!

29 Female.

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I shouldn't think you can control it on that dose! It's less than a starter dose, and you are severely under-medicated - as lots of people told you on your last thread.

When you have Hashi's, you need to have a TSH of zero - so you need to take enough levo to get it down to zero. Never mind all these stupid scare stories endos/doctors tell you, a suppressed TSH will not do any damage of any kind. You need it suppressed to reduce antibody activity - although, if I've understood correctly, you don't know if you have any antibodies. Even so, a suppressed TSH never did anyone any harm. It's the FT3 the important number, and as long as that is in-range, you are not over-medicated. :)

• without your test results for

TSH

freet4

freet3

ferritin

folate

b12

vit d3

we cant tell but its likely one or more are not optimal and thus the levo is simply not able to do its job

all of the above are critically interrelated and vital if you are to get well

• TSH = 3.36 [0.3-3.0] H

Free T4 = 20.58 [11-18] H

Free T3 = 5.2 [3.5-6.5]

Cortisol 8 AM = 850 [145-619] H

Ferritin was 33 and now daily on Iron supplements for it with VIT C

I take b12 vitamins aswell but my range was in the upper normal.

• ListerineYana,

Your results are unusual. TSH is over top of range but so is FT4 and FT3 is high in range. It is possible you have some resistance to thyroid hormone or a TSH oma which is a benign pituitary adenoma secreting TSH. Your GP should refer you to an endocrinologist for investigation.

thyroidmanager.org/algorith...

Hashimoto's isn't controlled with medication although having sufficient dose to suppress TSH may reduce frequency and intensity of flare ups. There is no cure for Hashimoto's which causes 90% of hypothyroidism. Treatment is for the low thyroid levels it causes. Many people have found that 100% gluten-free diet is helpful in reducing Hashi flares, symptoms and eventually antibodies.

chriskresser.com/the-gluten...

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

You may also like...