Thyroid results, please help me to understand them

Maxinemurray

I have 2 test results regarding my thyroid, first one on 14.12.16

TSH level 1.3 mu/London (0.35 - 4.7)

T4 level 11 pmo1/London (7.8 - 21)

Next test on 26.01.17, results are

TSH Level 1.2 mu/London (0.35 - 4.70mu/L)

T4 Level 10 pmo/l (7.80 - 21.00pmol/L)

I believe my T4 levels are low, but currently I'm only on 25mg of levothyroxine, is this too low a dose

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • MaxineMurray,

If you feel symptomatic there is room for a dose increase to raise FT4 but as it will suppress your TSH you may have difficulty persuading your GP.

The goal of Levothyroxine is to restore the patient to euthyroid status. For most patients that will be when TSH is 1.0 or lower with FT4 in the upper range. FT4 needs to be in the upper range in order that sufficient T3 is converted. Read Treatment Options in thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_... Email louise.roberts@thyroiduk.org.uk if you would like a copy of the Pulse article to show your GP.

• Thank you

• your free t4 is certainly low as is your TSH which clearly indicates CENTRAL /PITUARITY hypothyroid as i doubt 25mcg of levo would have pulled down a high TSH that fast

its normal to start on 25mcg and have the dose raised by 25 or 50mcg every 3 or 4 weeks until you are free of symptoms at which point its likely your TSH will be zero because the pituarity thyroid feedback loop is satisfied

your free t4 and free t3 will be near top of their ranges

its wise to get

ferritin

folate

b12

vit d3

checked as they are often affected in hypothyroid and all must be at least halfway in their ranges in order for the body to utilise the levo and convert it to the t3 every cell in your body needs to function

• Thanks I currently take a high does of iron but will look at folate but doctors not much use!

• you still need to educate your doctors

email louise.roberts@thyroiduk.org.uk for a copy of the PULSE article

its written for GPs on how to treat thyroid

• Will do thanks

You may also like...