Want a second opinion. Anyone know of any good consultants (endo/rheumo) in Surrey, UK?

So after years of suffering (started 9 years ago!) with this ongoing thyroid problem, high TPOab, high esr and high c-reactive protein, the GP referred me to a rheumotologist. Had the appointment yesterday and feeling it was pointless.

My symptoms are weight gain and unable to loss weight, excessive sweating, intolerance to temperatures - keep going hot and cold, always tired and can't sleep properly, pain and swelling in my neck and left shoulder, heart flutters and pain, inability to concentrate, severe acne and i'm now on the borderline of becoming aeamic.

The rheumotologist told me that I possibily have a tear in a muscle in my shoulder and has referred me for an ultrasound! Said the reason I am always tired is due to the swelling and pain in my shoulder muscle. She didn't even want to take bloods, didn't want to know any family history or anything! Wasn't even interested! I convinced her to check my thyroid bloods, esr, complete blood count and vitamins.

The consultant told me that my esr is high because I am overweight and that its not signficiant. Is this true? Also that my High TPOab of 200iu/ml (0-50iu/ml) is nothing to worry about.

Just struggling with daily life and need to get to the bottom of what this is. Hate waking up everyday feeling like I haven't slept, with my neck throbbing, cold hands and heart flutters!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • JayneRaison,

What are your thyroid results and ranges?

Thyroid peroxidase antibodies are positive for autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's). There is no cure for Hashimoto's which causes 90% of hypothyroidism. Treatment is for the low thyroid levels it causes. Many people have found that 100% gluten-free diet is helpful in reducing Hashi flares, symptoms and eventually antibodies.

chriskresser.com/the-gluten...

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

ESR and CRP are inflammation markers. If you have a damaged shoulder muscle that will raise ESR and CRP.

• Last test (aug 16) only had TSH tested it was 3.9mu/L (0.35-5mu/L). Had Free T4 14.9pmol/L (9-24pmol/L) and T3 4.9pmol/L (3.50-6.50pmol/L) back in feb 15. GP said they don't need regular testing.

• JayneRaison,

Because TPOab is positive thyroid levels should be tested annually.

• It's very difficult to get my doctor to run bloods. I had some yesterday so waiting for results.

• Depending on where you are in Surrey - there is a good Endo at the Royal Surrey hospital in Guildford. You could ask your GP to do a 9am cortisol test in case you have Cushing's disease. You have many of the symptoms for it which would explain a lot of your symptoms.

• Thanks for the advice Pauline S. I went to see an endo there a few years back and then my symptoms settled down and now they've started up again. I will ask doctor about Cushings

You may also like...