Scientists Discover Details About the Vagus Nerve that May Lead to Treating Painful Autoimmune Diseases

We know from previous studies that the vagus nerve is a conduit for signals from many of our vital organs and that it has a role in reporting changes in inflammation to the brain,” said Feinstein Institute investigator Patricio T. Huerta, PhD, also associate professor of molecular medicine at Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine and corresponding author of the paper. “Our new finding clearly shows that the vagus nerve carries immune-related signals, which makes it a good target for bioelectronic treatment for autoimmune conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s disease and lupus.”

nationalpainreport.com/scie...

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Gargling a few times a day can certainly stimulate the vagus nerve by encouraging the epiglottis to wriggle :-) The uijay breath in Yoga does the same - noisy but effective :-)

Thank you for an interesting post.

• :-) Yes I gargle too or told by my Grandma to look upwards to the ceiling and say a,e,i,o,u! She said it would prevent a double chin, but it hasn't.

• Thank you for the article. It's also responsible for hyperemesis gravidarum (extreme morning sickness).

You may also like...