T3 vs NDT - Is T3 easier to get used to?

I went to see a nice Endo in London privately back in November. Through his tests I found out I had the following results: TSH mU/L 1.75 (0.27 - 4.2), Free T4 17.4 pmol/L (12 - 22) and Free T3 2.7 pmol/L (3.1 - 6.8). These were taken at 6pm.I was on 75mcg of Levothyroxine and he said my Free T3 was low but the first thing wanted me to do was increase my Ferritin as I was 19 on a scale of (11-360). So I had an iron infusion but the only difference I felt after having it was feeling a lot warmer and less thirsty. The constant fatigue, confusion and lack of sleep I have is still with me. I also have a multitude of hypothyroid and adrenal fatigue like symptoms. As a result I also lost my job last week. Incidentally it was the employer medical insurance paid for the appointment, test and infusion. He also suggested I may need T3.

However, I went to see Dr Peatfield last week and he has suggested I take Adrenavive iii first to improve my adrenal health and then NDT. I was asked to reduce my Levo to 50mcg and start one capsule a day of Adrenavive iii. However, after 3 days I started to feel faint, exhausted and confused. My sleep has become from bad to worse despite stopping the capsule. Dr P has suggested taking only 1 every 3 days.

My question is, is it easier to get used to T3? Do I need T3? Is it better to take NDT? So far my path to NDT has been too difficult to me. I am very afraid of whats happened recently after taking Adrenavive iii. Please help!

Last edited by

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • It's not a question of being more or less easy to get used to. Your problem is that you're a very bad converter, and therefore need to take T3. The problem with NDT, is that the ratio T4 to T3 is fixed: one tablet contains a lot of T4. You've already got a lot of T4, and no T3. What you need is to cut down on all that T4 that you can't convert - or even cut it out completely - and add in T3, which you gradually increase.

Did Dr P also test your vit d, vit B12 and folate? Because if your ferritin is that low, other nutrients are also bound to be that low. And, that may be why you aren't converting so well. Or, it may be because of your cortisol. But, it seems to me that, before doing anything about your cortisol, you need to get it tested. An early morning serum test at the very least. But, a 24 hour saliva test would be better. But you'd have to get that done privately, as the NHS doesn't do it.

• I've had my B12 tested in the past through my GP and it has always been around 800-900 ng/L and that has always been without taking a B12 supplement. Sometimes its above range. I asked Dr P about this and he said that B12 is produced by gut bacteria naturally and its nothing to worry about. I'm currently taking 2000iu of Vitamin D3. When it was last checked it was midrange. Sorry I can't recall the exact numbers. I've never had Folate tested. Dr P just wants me to do a 24 hour cortisol and urine thyroid profile test through Genova. I'll have to wait until January now as I think they will close for Xmas soon.

I had a thyroid blood test done through Genova back in October and these were my results:

Total T4 144 (58-161 nmol/L), TSH 2.01 (0.40-4.00 mIU/L), Free FT4 17.0 (11.5-22.7 pmol/L), Free T3 (FT3) 4.2 (2.8-6.5 pmol/L), FT4:FT3 ratio 4.0 (2.0-4.5 Ratio). However, my antibodies are high. So TG is 221 (<= 40 IU/mL) and TPO is 155 (<= 35 IU/mL).

So it seems a month ago my Free T3 wasn't bad but my antibodies were? I've been gluten free since August.

• Yes, that's quite a difference in the FT3. And your conversion doesn't look so bad, there. Were both tests done at the same time of day?

• Well the Genova blood test was done in the morning around 9.30am I had taken my Levo but it was on an empty stomach back in October. The results in my first post were taken in November having again taken Levo in the morning but the test was done at 6pm at the endocrinologist's clinic.

• Serendipitous,

Why not try adding a little T3 to Levothyroxine? If it doesn't suit you can always switch to NDT.

You may also like...