Phone consultation with Dr Peatfield

I went to see Dr Peatfield last Wednesday. I was told to lower my Levo and start Adrenavive iii however after a few days of taking Adrenavive iii I started to fail faint, exhausted and confused. I was told to stop the adrenal supplement and I've now got a phone consultation with him tomorrow. I'm feeling very low at the moment as I had high hopes and I lost my job last week as a consequence of not being able to focus and forgetfulness. I'm not sure if there is any light at the end of the tunnel.

Can somebody please tell me what to expect and if what their experiences are of getting better under Dr Peatfield's supervision?

Thanks

31 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Yes, Dr Peatfield changed my life. I followed his plan to the letter and have never looked back.

• Did you see him in person, or follow his book/self medicate? Invested in hearing more about your experience with Dr Peatfield. Thanks :)

• Cuilleann-6, I saw him in person initially. It was quite a journey and I had to stay overnight so he suggested that in future I do telephone consultations. I was given a plan to follow, and a diary which I completed daily and sent to him.

Since I am now reasonably stable, I no longer see him, partly because he has not been well, but also because his time is limited and there so many who have not seen him but would like to.

He is kind, caring and compassionate. He does not belittle you or dismiss your symptoms as 'something else'. He has many years of experience in dealing with thyroid patients, and although he is no longer registered as a doctor and does not prescribe, he has such a wealth of knowledge and understanding that he now acts as a 'metabolic adviser'. Well, he gave me my life back, because I was in such a bad way that I suspect I should not have been here, had I never seen him.

The help and advice he gave to me enabled me to have the confidence to phase out my Levothyroxine and start taking T3 only. I am a difficult case because I was born with a defective heart valve and had major open heart surgery to replace the defective valve, and to repair an aortic aneurism, not very long after I had completed the transition to T3-only. I recovered from a BLOODLESS 5 hour operation and was home five days later. I do not think that would have been the case had I still been on Levothyroxine, because I was extremely ill and my breathing problems alone would have delayed my recovery. The Heart Surgeon at Papworth told me he felt my being on T3 helped my recovery. Yet the NHS Endocrinologist I saw a little later told me that T3 was bad for my heart. I directly challenged him on that, asking why the heart surgeon said the opposite, and his reply was, 'he is a heart surgeon and I am an endocrinologist'. So I said, 'And T3 is T3, whoever you are.'

I know the last bit is not entirely relevant, but it does show that most so called Endocrinologists not only know more about diabetes than the thyroid, but also they will tell you anything, even if it is ridiculous, to avoid giving you T3. Needless to say, I do not see him any more, in fact he discharged me summarily, being the caring individual he clearly was.

I hope this answers any questions you might have in your mind.

Marie xx

• Thankyou so much for replying. That is so helpful. I guess it should be no surprise that Dr Peatfield has been ill. The caring compassionate ones usually end up getting Ill. It sounds like something he's been dealing with some time. And there I was thinking, right.... he's the guy! I'm imagining it will be difficult to get to speak with him. I shall try though! He sounds so emotionally intelligent as well as knowledgeable. I'm so glad he was able to help you! It gives me hope. Things particularly tough this weekend, as I just seemed to crash. My arms started to be weak as well as my legs today, and I seem to be in a decline. I know this can tend to happen before an upping of thyroxine? I'm due to increase to 75mcg of levo in 2 weeks.

I have this nagging gut feeling that I'll need T3. So, it's good to hear your story. But I'm so sorry you suffered at the hands of the stoopid Endo though :( this is why I am trying to go it alone..... Just need some pointers along the way!

You sound like you're in a stronger place now. Long may it continue!

Thanks again, Marie xxx

• I think will all medicine there is a bit of trial and error and when something doesnt work out you are nearer to finding solution so stick with it.

• I've been taking Adrenavive iii for 4 months. How are you taking it and how much? I take 500mg on waking but do try and eat something with it maybe a plain biscuit or yogurt. Then I take 250mg 4 hours later.. again with food.

I saw Dr Peatfield 6 weeks ago and his suggestion to me was to reduce my T3 meds which I did for a short time then I titerated up again, I felt better for doing so.

• Lynn-2 did you get on with Adrenavive iii immediately or did you initially feel any side effects? Is it meant to be taken with breakfast or does it not matter? Sounds like you've been on it for a while. I think Dr P wants me to take it temporarily and then switch to NDT.

• Serendipitous.. if Dr P suggested you take adrenal support then I'm assuming you have adrenal issues which can be the case with hypothyroidism. He might have tested your reflexes or you could have results from a adrenal test either way he must have thought you need adrenal help. Adrenavive iii is good brand of adrenal cortex. Thyroid meds can work better when adrenal are supported.

My Cortisol levels are low in the afternoon and Adrenal cortex supplements help me to tolerate my meds. I struggled to take Cytomel without getting my adrenals supported initially.

I had similar issues to you when I took a different brand, I felt dizzy and sick with a nervous stomach. That is why I changed to Adrenavive. It might be you need to try another brand.

I take mine waking and 4 hours later. Thorne is a good brand, its lower than most at 50mg, you could take two if Dr P suggest you 100mg.

• Dr P did test my reflexes. He did the Achilles reflex and he also did the same thing with my wrist. My response was hardly anything at all. He said I was probably one of the worst cases of Adrenal Fatigue he'd seen. I find that astonishing. I've not done the Genova Adrenal test yet but I want to asap.

Do you know why these Adrenal supplements cause dizziness?

What other brand(s) of Adrenal support have you tried and what was your experience? Was it just the Thorne brand? Are you using Adrenavive i, ii or iii? Adrenavive iii is 250mg and is probably too strong for me?

• I did the adrenal test with Genova and the results were as clear as day in that I needed to support them.

Thorne is a really good brand and is tolerated by many. I top up with an afternoon dose of Thorne at about 4pm. Because it's a low dose at 50mg per cap you can start low.

I'm using Adrenavive iii..500mg on waking' 250 4 hours later and then a top up with 100mg of Thorne at 4pm.

I could not tolerate NutriAdvanced Nutri adrenal concentrate but I was struggling also to tolerate my T3 meds. I lowered my dose of T3 and tried a few brands of Adrenal Cortex that's when I found Adrenavive iii to work for me.

• I started taking one capsule of Adrenavive iii with breakfast since Saturday and then I stopped on Monday because I started to feel faint, confused and exhausted. So I only took it for 3 days but 7 days later my head is still heavy and I don't feel right. Maybe adrenal cortex supplements are not suited to me. How quickly did you notice an improvement after taking Adrenavive iii? Did you notice anything similar side effects?

• I don't know much about it, but do know that some people struggle to tolerate glandulars. I did well on a different formulation, but after increasing the dose I became really restless, hot, couldn't sleep, etc. This was with a different doctor, but later Dr P thought it was because more of the thyroxine I was taking was being utilised by my body.

That sounds quite different from what's happening to you, but I'm sure there are lots of ways to struggle with it. These adrenal glandulars are very strong.

• Well at night I have been feeling restless despite stopping the supplement. My temperature even hit 37c for the first time the other morning and I couldn't sleep very well. It's normally around 35 - 36c. Would you mind telling me who this other doctor was?

• Just noticing, was it this Monday you stopped taking it? And now it's Friday? That's not long at all, I'd usually think of these things on a 2 week timescale, and it should clear up slowly.

I'll PM you the other doctor's name. He was not a patch on being as good as Dr P, tho!

• Hi, be guided by your own symptoms and feelings, not everything suits everybody.

My own experience with dr peatfield was not good, he gave me some very strong meds without testing if I needed them and I experienced horrible side effects. No doubt in his experience the majority of his patients felt better on the meds, but they did not suit me.

Good luck, Holly

• what meds did he give you? I didn't think he could prescribe meds. I tried several of his recommendations until I found something that helped.

• I saw him in the late 90s and he gave me Florinef which did not suit me at all. Holly

• Thanks Holly. I think Florinef has less weight gain than standard HC. You must have been quite sick for him to recommend that. My experience is that Dr P has recommended the least offensive treatments first.

• ease off on thyroid medication if you are hitting 37C. Some people tune their medication daily using temp, how you feel, winter summer and planned activity.

Be wary of Adrenal supplements - if you take daily Magnesium, B12 and a little Iron/C, D3, multi B, weekly is all you need. Things that have massive doses of iodine can be an issue.

J

• I've reduced my levo as per Dr P's suggestion from 75mcg to 50mcg. I then started the Adrenavive iii which is when the problem started. I've since stopped taking Adrenavive iii. My temperature has dropped to about 36c now. I'm waiting to see what Dr P says but I can't get through to him right now.

• I just experiment with things and see how my body reacts - Increase T4 temp goes up, heart rate goes up, decrease and it goes down. Find some where you feel ok.

• Did you get insomnia with the temperature drop?

• To be honest my sleep has been up and down anyway in the last week. I lost my job last week and I've been sleeping really late so can't say.

• Now that you ask I do feel like I don't want to sleep. I don't know if that's due to th anxiety of what I've been through or the Adrenavive iii.

• I've not aken it but saw it mentioned for the first time the other day and have been trying to find out more about it. It looks as thought there are different strengths so may be one of the others might suit you better or may the figure after indicates something else so may be someone can comment on that. I've heard nothing but glowing reports on Dr Peatfield and heard him speak at a conference a few years ago so I'm sure you are in good hands. Nothing in the endocrine world moves quickly though, that's the nature of it so hopefully you will get suggestions of how to start off etc and help you.

• I've been taking Adrenavive II or the Nutri-meds equivalent for about 7 years. Now taken less thna when I started, Has worked for me, but I felt dreadful when I first started (no different from without meds!). I'd go with whatever Dr P says. I started it before thyroid meds and only started a low dose of T3 after a year or so.

• I have a question that is more than likely ignorance-based. As I understand it, one outcome of this product is suppression of cortisol production to help with adrenal fatigue. If someone is adrenally exhausted (ie someone like me) rather than fatigued, and therefore producing no cortisol, could this cause more problems? As I said, no doubt this is based on ignorance, but I would appreciate any opinions that are better informed than mine.

• I'm calling the office number and the line is engaged. I was meant to have a phone consultation but I'm not sure that will happen now.

• From what I've read it seems like the majority do well, improve or change their lives under Dr Peatfield. Lots of positive reports from patients leaving book reviews on Amazon. Like any Dr there will be cases they struggle to improve or could get worse during a trial and error stage. I'd suggest putting together a list of protocols with Dr P so you arn't going back and fourth which can get quite expensive. Always keep a diary of different treatments it's surprising what you learn when looking back at your notes, you can recognise patterns that you didn't previoulsy know about.

• hi to be honest I really struggled with the regime Dr P suggested to me.I reduced my levo and started taking Nutri adrenal ( I think it was called) I almost blacked out on Day 2 and had to spend 2 days in bed. I found the experience very disturbing and resumed my levo......

I found it very hard to make contact with Dr P. I am sure others have had better experiences than me, clearly so from the posts I have read.I feel he and his team need to provide a little more support to those who dont find his regimes plain sailing!

• Dr P has telephone appointments on a Friday only so he might be difficult to contact if you can't see him face to face in the week.

Your response to Nutri adrenal seems severe I doubt any medical professional would recommend something if they knew it would cause that type of response. You have just been unfortunate. I would have had several alternatives lined up incase the Nutri didn't work. This saves me money not having to go back so early and also gives me hope that I can start something new fairly quickly rather than waiting weeks for a new appointment. There's nothing worse than going for your appointment hoping the Dr's treatment will make you better only to find sometime after that it hasn't worked.

Treating hormones is an individual thing which is why I think we need to know our options as it could take time to find the right treatment that suits us. I think patient and Dr are very much in it together and the patient needs to do their reading when possible. This way they can understand what the Dr is recommending and have a better understand when things go wrong.

You may also like...