New to Thyroid UK

I just joined this forum today as I'm interested in reading about Thyroid problems. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at least 20 years ago. I was put on tablets which I was told I'd have to take for the rest of my life.

I have a yearly blood test, which I had for the last time just last week. Today I was told my condition had not got any worse, which is always good news! So I continue with the tiny daily dose I've been taking for many years now as my body won't tolerate a higher dosis.

I've just been diagnosed with high blood pressure & I wonder if my underlying problem also affects this problem as well.

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Welcome to our forum and I'd suggest you get a print-out from the surgery of your blood test results with the ranges. Doctors are not so good at testing all our thyroid hormones.

If you post your results on a new question members will advise. Some doctors mistakenly believe that if our TSH is anywhere in the range (approx between 1 and 5) our dose is optimum. If it is above 1+, it isn't optimum. TSH of around 1 is optimum.

Blood test should always be taken at the very earliest a.m. fasting (although you can drink water) and also you should have allowed 24 hours between your last dose of levo and the test and taken it afterwards.

If you haven't had a recent blood test for B12, Vit D, iron ferritin and folate ask for these as we are usually deficient. If you've had them post the results with the ranges. :),

• High blood pressure is, indeed, a symptom of undiagnosed/under-treated hypothyroidism.

You don't say how much levo you're taking, but shams advice to get copies of your blood test results is very sound. It is your legal right to have a copy, under the 1998 Data Protection Act. You need to know exactly what what was tested, and what the results were. If your doctor isn't doing the right tests, then he has no idea whether your condition has got worse or better.

If you have problems raising your dose, then you probably have nutritional deficiencies - no matter how good your diet! So, if i were you, I would ask your doctor to test the vit D, vit B12, folate and ferritin. Doctors don't do that, because they know nothing about nutrition, and don't understand the results, anyway. So, when you get the results, post them on here, with the ranges - always with the ranges! - and we'll be able to help you understand them. :)

• I've been taking 50mg for the last 15 years. I was first put on 150mg but soon I discovered I was getting high palpitations & terrible tiredness & the dosis was reduced till I was finally put on 50mg. I have a blood test once or twice a year & the results have always come back as OK. They tell me no further action is required & to keep on with the present dose.

• Well, I think you're more than likely under-medicated, now. 50 mcg is just a starter dose. It would be very surprising if that were all you needed.

Palpitations and fatigue are hypo symptoms - although doctors don't seem to know that. But, you shouldn't just trust them when they say there's not further action required, because there obviously is. As I said before, ask for copies of your results. They aren't ever going to just give them to you, you always have to ask.

• Thanks, I'll get on to them tomorrow as I need to talk to a doctor about the results of the blood pressure tests from yesterday.

• Good luck! And remember, if they try to fob you off and not give you your results (because you could never understand them, you poor little ignorant patient, you!) they are breaking the law! Come back here, and people will tell you how to 'persuade' them. :)

• Will do, thanks! :)

• I spoke to a doctor at our surgery on the phone this afternoon. I asked her for a print out of my blood test results last week & she made no objection. She did however enquire as to why I wanted them so I told her I had become a member of this forum & it was suggested that I might get a print out as well as Vit test. She made no objections.

I also asked her about a blood test for the Vits & again she agreed but she did mention my results don't seem to suggest any problems in that area.

I will phone & try & get an appointment for a blood test to be done as soon as possible.

You may also like...