Hello, I had a recent visit to an Endo and she told me that I’m allergic to T4, it’s only taken 15 years and the destruction of my mental/physical health not to mention the complete destruction of my career to discover this, how we laughed!! anyway she is going to get my GP to prescribe T3, so far so good, this was a couple of weeks ago, so I booked an appointment with the GP and turned up last night expecting/hoping to get a prescription however he hasn’t received her letter yet so understandably didn’t want to give me a prescription, he says he’s not even sure how to prescribe it as he’s never done it before! I think she may be waiting for results of bloods taken at GP’s last Thursday as she’s testing for Addison’s, who knows, anyway while all this was going on I thought s%d it I’m going to order T3 (Uni Pharma) so I’ve got a fall back position should the CCG or GP decide that they aren’t going to give me T3. My question is what sort of T3 is offered on the NHS, I know they only do one brand hence the exorbitant, totally immoral cost, I think it’s Mercury Pharma? The T3 I’ve ordered hasn’t arrived yet and I know it can take a couple of weeks, but it has been posted to me. my question is if it arrives before I get an NHS prescription should I go ahead and start to take it or should I wait and see if I get it on the NHS, what I don’t want to do is start taking different brands and chopping and changing if that’s going to mess the transition up. I will be starting on a really low dose 10 Mcg so perhaps that would mitigate any change in potency? Also should I just stop taking T4 or reduce it gradually not that I’m taking much at the moment only 25 Mcg as any more makes me ill. I should be on 100, 125 alternate days. Also when increasing T3 what should the amount and time periods be? Many thanks for any thoughts on the above.
Some advice on changing from T4 to T3 please - Thyroid UK
101,179 members • 115,377 posts