Levels and TTC

Hi all,

My hubby and I will be trying for a baby in the new year. So I took myself off to the GP having read on NHS site and EVERYWHERE that I should get levels checked etc before I TTC.

Not only was she disinterested she also left me feeling like I was over concerned. She did agree that when I am pregnant then to be straight back in touch but my last text was feb 16 and TSH was 2.74 and normally they wouldnt check again until Feb 17.

I kind of thought that the TSH should really be lower than that when trying to get pregnant-she thought not. She did advise that I would be considered a slightly higher risk pregnancy.

What are your experiences/thoughts?

I did manage,eventually,to get a blood test now,so will take myself off for that this week.

TIA

Silly me trying to plan a pregnancy. Knowing that I would need intervention.

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Baffled2015,

NICE recommendations before they were revised in April 2016 were that women attempting to conceive should have TSH in the low-normal range 0.4-2.0 with FT4 in the upper range and that Levothyroxine dose should be increased by 25-50mcg when pregnancy was confirmed. Current recommendations which you can show to your GP are: cks.nice.org.uk/hypothyroid...

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

• Hi Clutter,

Am I reading the NICE guides correctly that I need to be referred to an endocrinologist?

There also doeant appear to to a numbered tange offered on there.

Does my GP have a requirement to go by NICE guidelines?

Thanks again

• Baffled2015,

That's what the NICE recommendation says. The range was included in the NICE recommendations before it was revised in April 2016. There are ranges for each trimester in the other links I posted. I don't know whether your GP is required to observe the recommendations but I think most will.

You may also like...