That little cherry red mole may mean you need iodine

That little cherry red mole may mean you need iodine

As many will be aware, I have considerable interest in thyroid disorders, specifically those which are subclinical in nature. Many people find themselves manifesting all the symptoms of hypothyroidism or Hashimoto's disease yet upon investigation by blood tests are told that their blood tests all fall 'within the norm'.

The people who believe they are experiencing low thyroid conditions are very often put back on track by good nutritional support, one of those principles of nutritional support is the use of Lugol's iodine. Here we get to the crux of the matter, they have shown that Cherry Angiomas are caused by bromine excess or as the researchers have stated bromine poisoning. They have also discovered that iodine is the mineral that will displace bromine however bromine excess prevents the absorption of iodine into receptor sites.

The bottom line of this article is if you have these little cherry red moles on your body in all probability you have an iodine deficiency, this deficiency can also be part of the profile of subclinical hypothyroidism.

If you suspect that you have an undiagnosed thyroid disorder, do look for these little cherry-red moles. If the moles are increasing on your skin it may well be that your undiagnosed thyroid disorder is caused by excess bromine and halides and a clinical deficiency of iodine.

Try the iodine patch test, you know it makes sense!

iodine-resource.com/cherry-...

32 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I had/ have these all over abdomen. I pointed them out to a GP some years ago who called them Campbell de Morgan spots and told me to ignore them as they commonly appeared in middle age.

They are slightly fading and have done so since I've been on levo and working on getting my minerals and vitamins to optimal levels.

i have wondered fairly recently if they were related to my hypothyroidism (Hashi's) which remained undiagnosed for some time, I suspect for some years.

• Pre-diagnosis of hypothyroidism, I had lots of little red spots on my abdomen, which I discovered were petechiae. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petechia

Once thyroid levels were under control, the petechiae gradually disappeared, except for one or two of the larger ones which have faded, but otherwise stubbornly stayed put. They start to return like a little army of pinpricks when my thyroid levels are too low.

• If we believe:

a) That Cherry Hemangiomas are caused by low iodine;

b) That the Japanese are the foremost consumers of iodine and we should be following what they do.

Then: Why do we see papers in Japanese medical journals like this:

The author learned that cherry angiomas (senile hemangiomas) could be used as meridian points by experience. By this result, they have been examined.

There are not only nerves and blood vessels but also probably APUD (amine content and/or precursor uptake and decarboxylation) series cell in meridian points, and it is considered that there are the pathways through blood vessels besides reflexes and central nervous system as functional mechanism.

jstage.jst.go.jp/article/ka...

Surely the Japanese wouldn't have any?

• Of course , in the UK we are less likely to have excess bromine as it is illegal to put it in foods, unlike the US. So here it would be chlorine and fluoride.

I thought the iodine patch test had been thoroughly debunked as the change in colour is mostly caused by evaporation.

I have about the same number of red moles as I had as a child - they don't seem to have increased. But my father got lots more of them as he got older.

• In my opinion, the iodine patch test has been thoroughly debunked.

• I have been using the test for 25 years and found it to be very useful. As we all notice in the thyroid world tests are open to interpretation. I would seem irrespective of testing method that the discovery of CA's could well indicate a need for iodine.

• A need to be TESTED for iodine anyway.

Given that the patch test is open to strong debate a more clinical test may be prudent.

Louise

• If there's any cause for concern about iodine level due to the appearance of cherry angiomas or for any other reason, surely a proper iodine test should be done rather than this hit and miss very controversial patch test. I know I would absolutely not take iodine on the basis of the result of the iodine patch test.

• Roderick-Naturopath,

I think cherry angiomas are a natural ageing thing. I get them, they fade away and at some point they reappear and eventually disappear again. I very much doubt I have iodine deficiency as I'm taking thyroxine and T3.

• Thyroxine and T3 are a hormone precursor and a hormone, while they contain iodine they do not share it with other tissues. This is one of those situations where you need Iodine as a basic mineral.

• Roderick,

My understanding is that the thyroid recycles iodine throughout the body, not that I have a thyroid.

• Roderick-Naturopath,

So what happens to the iodine atoms removed in conversion of thyroid hormones? T4 to T3 to T2 to T1.

• Is this the same as Petetichiae?

• j_bee, I don't think so. My understanding is that Petechiae are flat, whereas Cherry Hemangiomas are raised up like little moles.

• Yes RedApple mine are flat. Do you know if Petechiae are of much significance?

• Mine only appear when thyroid levels are low. They go away once levels are better balanced. I think they're nothing to be worried about, other than from a cosmetic point of view. A bit like thread veins. I had lots of thread veins on my upper chest area pre hypo diagnosis. Again, they went away with thyroid treatment. For me, the appearance of thread veins, petechiae and skin tags are all warning signals that my thyroid levels are too low :)

• RedApple I rather thought that might be the answer. I have thread veins on my upper legs that look like a road map of GB. Nowhere else though. No skin tags, as yet. Thanks for answer.

• I have a few of those little cherry moles, have had them for years.

I did a urine iodine test earlier this year, not the loading test as there is some debate about the accuracy of that as almost everyone who does it is told they are deficient in iodine. My iodine level came back smack bang in the middle of the range, my result was 150 (100-199). I also take a multi mineral on advice of my practioner and that has some iodine in it (which I questioned should I take as I'm not deficient) and my level has now gone up to 200 (100-199), so certainly no iodine deficiency for me but I still have the cherry moles.

• Which urine test for iodine did you do? I'm curious about my own iodine level.

My husband has loads of those little red spots on his abdomen. I decided they were cherry haemangiomas and stopped worrying about them.

My husband refuses to go to the doctor for anything, so unless I held him up at gunpoint and frog-marched him to the surgery he would never get them seen, so I had to research them myself for my own peace of mind.

• I did the Genova END25 Urine Iodine Test originally, still showing as £71 on TUK's website.

Then I was wanting to repeat a urine T3/T4 test and I knew they did a combined one with Iodine and that was END26 but it doesn't seem to be on the list on TUK's website. I wanted to repeat the iodine test because I was a bit worried about taking the multimineral with the iodine in so wanted to check it hadn't gone too crazy. And being able to do one urine collection for two tests was a bonus!

• i really would need to see scientific studies and proper guidelines before touching anything that you can overdose on

• The link from Roderick-Naturopath's post itself has a link - which is both wrong (names of people misspelled) and broken. Searching found the intended paper. Two people in an extreme situation and a very questioning suggestion far from a definitive conclusion ...

Dermatology 2001;202:52–53

(DOI:10.1159/000051587)

Cherry Angiomas Associated with Exposure to Bromides

Cohen A.D.a · Cagnano E.b · Vardy D.A.a

aDermatology Institute, Clalit Health Services, and bPathology Department, Soroka University Medical Center, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Faculty for Health Sciences, Beer-Sheva, Israel

Abstract

Cherry angiomas are the most common vascular proliferation; however, little is known about the pathogenesis and etiology of these lesions. We present two laboratory technicians who were exposed to brominated compounds for prolonged periods and who developed multiple cherry angiomas on the trunk and extremities. We suggest that the association between exposure to bromides and cherry angiomas should be investigated by a controlled study.

© 2001 S. Karger AG, Basel

karger.com/Article/Abstract...

• Some small but probably quite strong evidience that things other ther bromine/bromides can cause them.

J Occup Environ Med. 1998 Dec;40(12):1059-64.

Eruptive cherry angiomas and irritant symptoms after one acute exposure to the glycol ether solvent 2-butoxyethanol.

Raymond LW1, Williford LS, Burke WA.

Author information

Abstract

Seven clerical workers were evaluated in 1993, 8 months after exposure to vaporized 2-butoxyethanol (2-BE; also called butyl cellosolve or ethylene glycol monobutyl ether [EGMBE or EGBE]), which had been applied overnight to strip the floor of their file room. At the time of exposure, they had noted intense eye and respiratory irritation, marked dyspnea, nausea, and faintness, suggesting a concentration of 2-BE in the air of 200-300 parts per million (ppm). All seven workers later experienced recurrent eye and respiratory irritation, dry cough, and headache. Four months after the exposure, cherry angiomas began to appear on the arms, trunk, and thighs of six workers, who voiced concerns about the possibility of cancer. Our evaluation found no evidence of hematologic, liver, lung, or renal toxicity, but elevations in the erythrocyte sedimentation rate and blood pressure of each subject were found. Workplace air sampling found no detectable 2-BE, but traces (0.1-0.2 ppm) of formaldehyde were identified. Irritant symptoms abated after the group was moved to a room with better ventilation, and the mild hypertension gradually cleared, but new cherry angiomas have continued to appear 5 years after the acute exposure, as the initial ones persisted. These angiomas occur in healthy persons as they age but in this instance appear to have resulted from a single overexposure to 2-BE. We felt confident in reassuring the workers that they would suffer no serious consequences from this exposure.

PMID:

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/987...

Eruptive melanocytic nevi and cherry angiomas secondary to exposureto sulfur mustard gas

Alireza Firooz, MD

, Ali Komeili, MD

, Yahya Dowlati, MD, PhD

Center for Research & Training in Skin Diseases & Leprosy 79 Taleghani Ave Tehran 14166, Iran

DOI: dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0190-96...

Abstract

We read with interest the report by Shoji et al describing 2 cases of eruptive melanocytic nevi after Stevens-Johnson syndrome (J Am Acad Dermatol 1997;37:337-9). We want to share with you our unique observation on the simultaneous eruption of melanocytic nevi and cherry angiomas in patients who had blistering lesions from exposure to sulfur mustard gas.

jaad.org/article/S0190-9622...

• The original link says that the problem is halides. Halides means salts of halogens -

A halide is a binary compound, of which one part is a halogen atom and the other part is an element or radical that is less electronegative (or more electropositive) than the halogen, to make a fluoride, chloride, bromide, iodide, astatide, or theoretically ununseptide compound. The alkali metals combine directly with halogens under appropriate conditions forming halides of the general formula, MX(X = F, Cl, Br or I). Many salts are halides; the hal- syllable in halide and halite reflects this correlation. All Group 1 metals form halides that are white solids at room temperature.

Then goes on to suggest 10 grams of salt (mostly sodium chloride - a halide) and magnesium oil (magnesium chloride - a halide) to help!

• Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the definition of 'sub-clinical', not having any symptoms? In that case, how do you have 'all the symptoms of hypothyroidism' and still be 'sub-clinical'?

And, if you have Hashimoto's, your problem is hardly due to iodine deficiency, so what's the point of mentioning it?

I think you are doing people a great disservice by advising them to do the discredited iodine patch test - which you have mentioned on more than one occasion and been told that it is not a valid test - and to supplement with Lugol's iodine. From personal experience, I know the damage that this can do. Your advice is at best misleading, and at worse down-right dangerous. I really do wonder what your real motives are...

• No sub-clinical is when you have all they symptoms but you are told...' its all OK you levels are in the normal range'.

Further investigation shows high RT3 (not used by NHS) etc, etc.

• Roderick-Naturopath,

Sub-clinical is when TSH is between 5-10 with FT4 in normal range.

greygoose is right when she says patients with subclinical hypothyroidism should be asymptomatic, something which the majority of allopathic doctors ignore. Patients are often told symptoms are non-thyroidal but the 'non-thyroidal' symptoms are rarely investigated. They're often told they must be depressed because 'it's not your thyroid' and offered antidepressants even though there is no blood test showing Prozac deficiency.

• No, that's classed as a 'misdiagnosis because doctors have no idea what the symptoms are'. I suggest you look in a dictionary, because how can it be sub-clinical, if you have 'all the symptoms'. That is not the meaning of the word.

• In naturopathy and functional medicine that is the accepted term. But this is getting us away from the fact that if you have 'little red moles' it can be an indicator of an increased need for iodine, which funnily enough is also used to make thyroid hormones.

• It is one of the ingredients of thyroid hormones. It CAN be an indicator. Then again, it can be something else. As can hypothyroidism. This obsession that people who are hypo should take iodine is very worrying. Iodine ruined my life! If anybody had bothered to do a blood test, they would have found that I had Hashi's, not an iodine deficiency and should never have been taking iodine because it made my symptoms a hell of a lot worse!

And, it may be the 'accepted' term in whatever, but do you never consider that you might be wrong? Oh, and before you ask, yes I do, frequently. But not on this subject.

• I have lots of those little red moles and they have increased since my levels have been lower. However I have tried to take iodine twice and each time i become extremely exhausted within about 3 hours. I figured my body doesn't really like it. I havent had the test done because I will run out of ££ if I keep getting tests done!!

Chloe

• the scientific studies are what I thought, as clear as mud and poorly represented in human trial numbers, such minerals should only be tested and treated by a qualified practitioner, l have lots of these little red dots that lets face it nobody has a Scooby about. l rest my case.........

You may also like...