Thyroid UK
85,907 members100,810 posts

Will asthma inhalers complicate the adrenal stress profile saliva test?

Hello,

I have the above test to start but I called Genova yesterday who, I have to say we're not very helpful.

He couldn't tell me whether my steroid inhalers would interfere with the result of the test.

Can anyone else shed any light on this please?

Many thanks in advance.

20 Replies
oldestnewest

It is acknowledged by the more informed endocrinologists that it does have some 'marginal' effect. The problem being that they are so disinterested about sub-clinical adrenal function that they have never researched it. Given that you are dealing with a sub clinical profile the effect is probably greater than the norm.

Sorry the best I can do.

Roderick

MrsBoilie

STTM states asthma meds can influence your saliva test results.

If you are considering stopping asthma meds to achieve a true cortisol base line result, I think it would be a minimum of two weeks.

However, it is worth considering, if these meds are generally taken daily, maybe using a saliva stress test result that includes the meds should be your natural baseline. Suddenly stopping asthma meds, although may clear the drug out of your system, may lead to further adrenal stress if you were to make yourself struggle or ill.

Meds that effect Adrenals.

stopthethyroidmadness.com/s...

1 like

I neverfound that the steroid inhalers did anything to improve my asthma symptoms - they just gave me a hoarse voice, so bad I couldn't speak at work in the morning until I'd been "practicing" in the loo for 15 mins. I just stopped them and kept the bronchiodilater one for attacks. GP didn't notice for 30 years even though I hadn't had a single one of the prescriptions filled. So you could probably stop for a couple of weeks just in case - you might feel better.

Thanks for your answers folks. Much appreciated.

Angel_of_the_north that's really interesting you say that about your voice as mine has recently gone so hoarse and sore when I use the preventer. I'm ok with the reliever but not all the time.

Thanks again

When I stopped the steroid one, I realized it hadn't been preventing anything as I had just the same number of attacks and breathlessness without it. The only difference was if I actually got a chest infection and then the only one that worked was Pulmicort (which wasn't the one the GP usually prescribed).

1 like

This is interesting for me as I was prescribed inhalers for asthma a few months ago and to my absolute horror my tongue has blackened along the edges and underneath, I rang my surgery in a panic yesterday and Dr rang back to say he thought it was thrush brought about by this medication, he prescribed something to put on my tongue, although I haven't actually been to the Chemist yet to get it. As a person who loathes prescribed medications due to side effects I wonder if I could stop the inhalers but am concerned of course how my body would react to asthma tendencies. Is there no alternative to these inhalers, my throat gets sore sometimes too. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Some say to cut back on dairy. I'm Gluten free too so if you haven't already you could try.

The only alternate to inhalers are the dreaded oral steroids. Very powerful stuff but only to be taken very temporarily.

Sorry I can't help.

Hi MrsBoilie, see my reply to joyia above, through vitamins A, D3 and K2 my husband no longer needs his daily preventative asthma inhaler anymore and has only used his rescue inhaler 3 times in 6 months, twice it coincided with forgetting to take his vitamin pills and the other time he used the rescue inhaler was because he was in a room with a dog for a couple of hours. Mum's COPD has been down classed by her Doctor as 'mild', she no longer makes awful breathing noises when she walks around, another lady in her 70's I suggested go on the vitamins she has Emphysema, her breathing has got far better and many of her family and friends have commented on it. These vitamins are anti inflammatory.

1 like

Vitamin A 5000iu and vitamins D3 5000iu + K2 100mcg have helped my Family and friends with Asthma, COPD and Emphasema too. A, D3 and K2 are anti inflamatory. It is quite well known and accepted now that vitamin D3 helps lung conditions.

Ooh that is very interesting. I take the D and K2 but will get the A and check my levels. Many thanks.

1 like

Like vitamin D3 we have to be careful about taking too much A also.

Thank you coastwalker for your advice, I do take D3 but will look into K2 and Vit A. I am pleased to learn others have been helped in this way.

1 like

Vitamin A like D we must not take too much. All are fat soluble, unlike the B vitamins which are water soluble, taking too much B isn't so bad as the fat solubles as any excess get wasted out of us.

I have followed your advice coastwalker and sent off for all the vitamins you suggested. How safe is it to stay on this dose do you think and for how long as you are saying we mustn't take too much so am a little confused. Many thanks for your help.

vitamindcouncil.com

For safe up to date doses of vitamin D3 which are far higher than NHS doses and also illnesses that vitamin D affects.

Take a look at my above post Joyia, I have written the amounts. I also take the same amounts too. Only when I took these amounts did many of my pains go away. My Dr prescribed me 'a very high dose' 1000iu of D3 for a vitamin D deficiency and my body told me it certainly was not enough. :) By taking 5000iu I cured a diagnosed condition my Dr said I would never cure and have to learn to live with. 5000iu of D3 also overnight cured my stiffness when getting up out of chairs and bed in the morning which many get.

Pleased you are going to have a try at these vitamins Joyia. Not saying it will cure everyone, but my motto is 'I will try anything once.' ;) :)

Ps. it is known D3 and K2 go together as a team, now recently it is said that vitamin A is a team player too.

That's reassuring coastwalker thank you very much for your response. How nice it would be to get rid of some of the stiffness I have had for years. I have supplemented with 2,000 Vit D over the past two years but no Vit K. It is obvious some of us need more and pleased to hear you are well on your higher dose.

1 like

On only 1000iu D3 my symptoms came back after a few days, but 5000iu D3 and all pains and stiffness stay away unless I forget to take my D3 then it lets my body know later that same day. I never knew vitamins were so powerful :) :)

I will let you know how I get on, hopefully my order from Amazon is on it's way. Good to hear you are doing well. Don't know how to make emoticons but give you a smile and a hug anyway. Joyia

1 like

A friend has just ordered some of these vitamins to get rid of stiffness so it will be interesting to find out if they work for her too, also another friend whose knees hurt and had tried every cure she could think of tried the vitamins and they started to work within a day.

Hi, my vitamins arrived this morning and will start my first intake with my lunch. I have gone down with a bad dose of something, flu I am not sure but whatever it is feels nasty and am not easily shaking it off. I was pleased to read on the vitamin instructions as D3 and A help the immune system so hopefully this will also help me get over this horrible bug.

You may also like...