Waste of time

I showed my results from blue horizon to the gp yesterday and said my TSH has increased from around 2 to 3.91 - should I be concerned? Now I was not asking if I needed treatment or a diagnosis or anything as I know I am considered in the normal range by the medical profession. I was simply asking if an increasing TSH is a concern. Her response - no you are in the normal range. So from this I can only conclude that actually the medical profession will only act once you are very ill, rather than looking at the bigger picture and monitoring or taking action at the first sign something is not right. (I was also told physiotherapy could help another issue but the waiting list is long, though I have seen physios quite quickly recently, so she will not refer me and I should go private (I am a student earning the grand sum of £0/year). Is this the right attitude from an nhs gp?)

I have concluded that seeing the gp is a waste of time (been having so many issues re my b12 deficiency and refusal to accept my neurologist's diagnosis, my son's neurological issues, my other son's psc and resistance to recommendations from his consultant) and have vowed to avoid them from now on. I will visit for my b12 injection from the nurse only. They are clearly only interested in addressing acute conditions and chronic conditions are swept under the carpet until symptoms become acute. So much money could be saved in the nhs if conditions were addressed sooner and the bigger picture was considered when seeing a patient.

This group offers far more support than my own gp.

15 Replies

oldestnewest
  • It very distressing when you have an uphill struggle particularly with your health and where your child's health is also involved.

In some countries they will prescribe when TSH is 3+

• Yes it is and I am finding visiting the gp just makes me angry and upset so I can take action to prevent these issues easily - just don'T go to the gp. My time is better spent resting or doing my studying.

• My ferrtin was around 20 for years (lab range 15-300!), yet none of my GPs ever thought to mention I may benefit from iron supplementation, because '20' is in the 'normal' range. So after discovering my low reading I took it under my own wing to supplement myself and monitor my ferritin with routine blood tests that the GP was happy to run.

You may benefit from doing the same. A good investment is Dr Durrant-Peatfield's book 'Your Thyroid and How To Keep It Healthy'. He primarily wrote it for patients to help themselves, to empower them and offers lots of self help techniques with dietary and lifestyle advice and nutrition too to get you started. If this works for you, it'll be far more beneficial than jumping straight into taking thyroid hormones, which he describes as the last resort if all else fails.

A thyroid disorder benefits from being treated holistically and emotional and physical stress can cause the thyroid to go out of whack. So by addressing these aspects may set you up for a better grounding for feeling better again or progressing to thyroid hormones if indicated.

Good luck. Wishing you well. :-)

• Thank you I will look at that book. Avoiding meds if I can would be goof. As for the stress - autistic son, other son with incurable liver disease, midwifery degree and constant pain - yes I could be stressed ;-) and that won'T help.

• Be mindful that although nutrition, vitamins etc can be helpful if your TSH has risen next time it might be worth taking levothyroxine. It is not medication it is a hormone required by our body which doesn't function with a thyroid gland which is failing and could then cause more problems which you don't want. You want to be as healthy as possible with relief of symptoms as you also have a boy to look after.

• Hi sleepypuss, here is a free online summit 24-31 October:

thyroidconnectionsummit.com/

It covers such a wide variety of topics re thyroid dysfunction. You may get some nuggets of info through this to help you along your way.

Good luck re your midwifery training. What an exciting journey you're on there. Really hope you're able to sustain your health to get through to the other side with it and have the reward of a super career there. :-)

• Thank you x

• Hi Sleepypuss :)

Only thing I can say is that the range of your TSH are usually be between 0.4-5.0mIU/L - however I must stress that this does not constitute the whole picture. For an accurate diagnosis you need your other levels such as FreeT4, FreeT3, Folate, Ferritin, Vit D as well as your Vit B12.

Did blue horizone supply you with those results as well?

• TSH 3.91 (0.27 - 4.2)

Total T4 102.8 (64.5 - 142)

FT4 16.52 ( 12 - 22 )

FT3 5.52 (3.1 - 6.8)

Antithyroidperoxidase 12.6 (<34)

Antythyroglobulin 14.1 (<115 )

• I think you are now suffering from the dreaded 3 words "within-normal-range" point being if your near to the end of either scale/parameters therefore that doesn't count. Nevermind that you feel the way you do, they wont do anything until you step out of that range.

Are you able to see your doctor again and say you are not happy, and request that you wish to be referred to Endocrinologist? Or get a second opinion as you are entitled to one. I know your GP makes you feel like you have no evidence and you are an inconvenience but you have more than you think what with the results and your symptoms you are clearly not 100%.

I hope you manage to get some help ;)

• This is what I mean - the normal range is all they see and do not consider anything holistically or look at the pattern of results - they will treat when I have already fallen outside the normal range but I may be way outside it because they will not keep an eye on it to watch for any further increases. oh well, at least I have faith in myself.

• Hi Sleepy

We all seem to have the same fight with doctors I'm afraid.

My BH test results are very similar to yours and the doc has refused to treat me either on the blood results or my symptoms.

My vitamin levels were low, although 'in range' so have began to supplement B12, B complex & D3 & although I feel slightly better I still have hypo symptoms so I have taken the decision to self medicate.

I have absolutely no confidence in the doctor I saw, so I'm taking my health in to my own hands with the assistance of the lovely people on here.

Incidentally I was speaking to a friend of mine who has Hashis and was over medicated for a year by the doctor I saw & has only had a referral to an endo after threatening to go to the local paper about her treatment. Its really doesn't instil me with confidence.

I know this doesn't help but just wanted you to know you're not alone in the struggle. You know your own body - use the help on here & decide for yourself where you need to take this next. xx

• Thank you. I am also managing my own health with B12 injections (in addition to the ones I receive at the surgery), Vit D3, K2, magnesium, b complex, folic acid, omega 3. I rest when I can but that is difficult while studying. I have come to realise seeing the gp is one big joke. I was also the one that diagnosed my sons with lactose intolerance and ulcerative colitis as the professionals would not believe me but then tests proved me right and it was worse than we could have thought. My mother suffered with chronic pancreatitis for 45 years (from birth) before someone actually tested her.

• Hi Sleepypuss

In addition to the other comments here, getting your adrenal glands tested will also get a better picture of what's going on. The adrenal glands work in sync with the thyroid gland and if either gland isn't working optimally, it off sets the other. Some people find by addressing their adrenal gland imbalances, the thyroid then comes into balance by itself and vice versa. It's a very individual thing and depends on your own body and what started first.

You won't get adrenal gland testing on the NHS. There's further info on testing on the Thyroid UK website. The adrenal glands support us a great deal when feeling emotionally stressed or have physiological stress going on in the body. Your life presently sounds like it's being stressful for you, so I wouldn't be surprised if your adrenal glands are being over-taxed.

It's really worth getting addressing your symptoms as holistically as possible. Because I've personally found that if a one prong approach is taken, we don't get complete healing.

There's another free online summit coming up, this time on adrenal health:

adrenalresetsummit.com/

Wishing you the best of luck. x

• My stress has reached maximum this week as I have been accused of something I have not done (I can't go into details, much as I would love to let you know how I have been treated). I have been crying since Friday, but am not now as I realise I have the moral high ground now I know the exact accusation (she refused to tell me on Friday and just said she had made a complaint about me so I had to wait until last night to find out what and then a further email tonight has made it very clear the complaint cannot possibly be upheld). I have to meet and defend my position and I will then be raising a formal complaint. Anyway I digress - I would have loved to have measured my levels last night when my distress reached maximum levels. My anxiety and depression has NEVER been as bad as it has been the last few days.

You may also like...