Keep it simple

Keep it simple

As I read through this site I notice the level of concern and anxiety many people display, on top of this I notice the deep fellowship and sense of community that those who are finding solutions are offering to those around them.

I see so many people being charged masses of money and being sent down very expensive routes of testing when much of this can be helped by simple solutions. Many of the members are fostering a view that you must have a massive range of tests to come to any sense of what is happening to you. The fact is no mater what is going on endocrine balance is required before any change will occur, we know this because T4 is clearly not working for many.

An observation I'd like to make is that despite the severity of and the level of testing you are given, or are not given as it is in many cases, there are simple things that you can do that will help you. It matters not that you have elevated cortisol low cortisol, receptor site damage or are a poor converter, there are certain fundamentals that you can apply that will help you help yourself. This action of self-help can put you back on the path to self-control.

The first thing and possibly fundamental is a low sugar no sugar diet. The more tired you become the more exhausted your cells, the deeper the craving for sugar becomes. The sugar craving is a vicious circle with some it ends up in disastrous situation such as type II diabetes.

So here's the list of what to do

1 download a glycaemic index try not to eat any of the foods marked as 70 or over.

2 cutout refined sugars and refined foods. This includes such things as white flour, white bread and pasta.

3 read the labels you will be surprised how much sugar is contained in organic, gluten-free products and of course our old friends diet drinks, diet bars.

4 do not be scared of fats they have known for a long, long time fats do not make you fat. However they are an excellent source of energy and provide the fundamental base many of your physiological functions.

5 do not skip breakfast! Establishing a stable blood sugar level at breakfast means that your blood sugar is more stable throughout the entire day,

6 establish a regular eating pattern, regular sleeping pattern. The body thrives on regular habits, the more predictable you become, the easier it is to heal.

7 learn to like yourself, a hard one for many people, especially when you hate your thyroid!

8 do not lose hope.

And that is about it. There are lots of books out there to read and your problems have been written about by many, many doctors. Fundamental to all of their comments and teachings is a stable blood sugar and blood insulin level.

Roderick

Last edited by

15 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Ah, and that's going to stop the antibodies in their tracks, is it? Pft! Do you never think that maybe you're on the wrong forum? You don't know much about thyroid, do you. You certainly haven't got it yourself!

• actually I had diabetes, with adrenal and thyroid problems. Interestingly low glyceamic diets and ketogenic diets have a good history as a basic anti-inflammatory, along with the reduction of adrenal stress... so yes I had it and no I am not on the wrong forum.

In its later years the cat had thyroid issues as well. I was visibly more active when it ate sardines in olive oil.

• In its later years the cat had thyroid issues as well. I was visibly more active when it ate sardines in olive oil.

I laughed out loud at that wonderful typo! :D

• I had to run after it more!

• Oh, I see! Gave me a good laugh anyway. :)

I thought you meant to write :

It was visibly more active when it ate sardines in olive oil.

• well, um, er, quick thinking on my part!

• Me too humanbean . Giggle-giggle. 🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱purrr-purrr. 🌞

• It's no surprise to most of us here that 'cleaning up' an unhealthy diet helps a lot of people. But that isn't a cure for a genuine underactive thyroid, full blown autoimmune hypothyroidism, or total lack of thyroid gland.

You say you 'had diabetes, with adrenal and thyroid problems.' Does that mean you no longer have a thyroid problem? Are you taking any thyroid medication?

• You 'had' it? So, you believe that thyroid problems are reversible? All thyroid problems? That is not what the majority of people on here find. And if your thyroid problem was reversible, then you cannot possibly relate to those of us on here who's 'thyroid problems' are not reversible. Those of us who have no thyroid. Those of us that are being badly treated by doctors who know nothing about thyroid, either.

Low glycemic and ketogenic diets may be very good for inflammation, but it's not as simple as that. There's so much more to consider. And, it's not fair to give people the impression that all they need to do to cure their thyroid problem is balance their blood sugar. I have never seen you give any advice that actually relates to the challenges we face as hypos - or hypers come to that. Nor that relate to adrenal fatigue. Maybe you are better qualified to post on a diabetic forum.

I know that you want to help, but I, for one, feel that you just muddy the waters by over-simplifying things - which doesn't help people that are just starting out on this complicated journey. Whilst the majority of us know that diet is important, it isn't the be-all-and-end-all of thyroid care. We need our complicated lists of blood tests, and telling people that they're not necessary is not helping. People that know nothing about thyroid - and why should they have to know, that's what we pay doctors for! - will go away thinking that you just eat fat and everything will be hunky dory - yes, I know that's not what you said, but have you not noticed, if you've been reading carefully on here, that seriously brain-fogged people, due to low T3, just get a vague impression of what is being said, just pick up on one sentence or one word, and don't take in all the details? Everything has to be spelt out carefully. Otherwise, you're just confusing people. And, frankly, we're quite confused enough as it is.

Cats have hyperthyroidism, the majority of people have hypothyroidism, so I don't believe that that qualifies you to give advice to hypos. Nor do I believe that eating sardines in oil solves any thyroid problems. :)

• I like your list of things to do and I'm sure it could help people.

I disagree with your comments about testing though.

I wouldn't want to treat my thyroid without some idea of how it is working. I know it can be done - before blood tests doctors had no choice - but, to me, it would feel like driving while blindfolded.

Also, I have problems with maintaining a good iron level. I test regularly because overdosing iron is dangerous, and there are no obvious symptoms when I overdo it.

• Don't get me wrong, I do do testing, but interestingly the test results change as peoples blood sugar levels stabilise. The changes are always on positive end of the spectrum. So if you are in a situation with hostile no or medical support you can do a few things that will cost less than a private thyroid panel and also may well make you feel better. Personal empowerment etc.

• In general I'd agree with a lot of what you've written as far as general health is concerned. But with thyroid problems no amount of dietary manipulation is going to cure the fundamental problem; the thyroid is sick or dying. The solution is first to get the whole picture of your present situation re thyroid by all the tests, and second to both develop a sensible route to optimum treatment (T4, combo or T3) and restoration of whatever else has been lost or is in short supply as a result of the thyroid problem. The unpleasant thing to realise is that thyroid sufferers never get exactly back to where they were before, and no amount of dietary information will fully restore health.

• Type 2 diabetes is NOT an autoimmune condition unlike my type 1 diabetes which is. Many thyroid conditions are autoimmune, so like my diabetes, healthy eating won't make it go away.

• Hi snap, do you hve any advice on hypothyroidism and diabetes ?

I ask as my mum who has struggled with getting enough levo for most of her adult life has recently been diagnosed with LADA (latent autoimmune diabetes in adults) a form of type one. Unfortunately this was only discovered when she had a dka and nearly died. She has five insulin injections daily plus they've reduced her levo. I think the levo reduction was ok for while as she had lost so much weight but she's now suffering memory issues and anxiety. She's struggling bless her so all advice appreciated.

• I had type 1 diabetes

You may also like...