I would like to know why Gp are given the responsibility of thyroid secondary care... as i have been banging my head of the wall for year trying to explain to not just specalist but also gp that my thyroid should be mid range.. even although i get it checked monthly as it fluctuate so severely hypo and hyper... even to date i was told my t4 was 38 and it has been steadily been evident in past two i am not just over my 16 med range but raging over the top end of the range.. i feel the nhs is really not taking thyroid very serious and the pure upset in one homiostasis fluctuating causing massive stress to all systems in the body.... ability to speak to patients and absorb info is not happening.. also what is going on with thyroid patient really not even understanding their own results.. i meet so many thyroid sufferers that dont know what a T4 T3 TSH is...????????????????????????????

2 Replies

• Why should they know? If you have cancer you're not expected to know all the details of your disease. It's not really a subject that we learn in school, is it! More to the point, why don't doctors know? I've consulted several who had no idea what T3 was! Please don't criticise thyroid patients, when all these problems are actually the fault of the medical community.

It's very difficult to comment on your particular case without seeing your labs. What exactly do you mean when you say that your 'thyroid should be mid-range'? Which test are you referring to? Which level was 16? Your post is very confusing. It is actually physically impossible to 'fluctuate severely' between hypo and hyper - you might have hyper symptoms, you might be over-medicated, but if you are hypo, you cannot 'go hyper'.

So, why not post your latest labs, with ranges, and let us have a look, see where the problem is. Perhaps your doctor is just dosing by the TSH? :)

• Welcome to our forum Trish-lie.

It is understandable, your frustration and of the 45,000+ people on this forum have been at the blunt end of either trying to get diagnosed, or not improving on levothyroxine which is the standard replacement if we have hypothyroidism.

GPs have been told by the Association not to diagnose us until TSH is 10 (horrendous I know) particularly when other countries prescribe when it's around 3. They don't know any clinical symptoms of which there are 300+.

They have to follow the guidelines. They've also been told how simple it is to treat, i.e. levothyroxine until TSH comes within range and that's probably between 1 to 5 and many keep you around the top of the range as they believe that we now have sufficient hormones. Not true in reality.

greygoose has made some good points and if you've not had a recent blood test get a new one asking for a Full Thyroid Function Test i.e. TSH, T3, T4, Free T3 and Free T4 and antibodies. At the same time ask for Vit B12, Vit D, iron, ferritin and folate as we can be deficient.

Before (and when) you are diagnosed and have blood tests for thyroid hormones, they should be the very earliest possible, and fasting although you can drink water. Leave about 24 hours between your last dose of levothyroxine and the test as this allows the TSH to be at its highest and that is mainly what the doctor uses to adjust hormones.

You can also get tests from recommended labs and get a small discount when you quote the code.

Get a print-out of your results (we are entitled to them) and post for comments (on a new question). There is also a lot of information on the following link and you can also tick off your symptoms.