New blood test results back

After the doctor agreeing to do 'full bloods' for thyroid, vitamins & hormones the results have come back & she's only test TSH for my thyroid - which I've is next to useless.

The TSH came back at 3.4 (0.2 - 6.0)

B12 1295 (180 - 910) I've been supplementing this so really pleased it's increased

Folate 4.91 (5.4 - 24)

Vit D 61 (50.0 -100.0)

Hormones came back as 'normal (that lovely word!) pre menopausal levels

I've an appointment with the doctors on Tuesday to discuss and suspect I'll get no where in trying to get any thyroid meds. Although do I actually need them?

Any advice is very gratefully received.

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Justliloldme,

TSH >2.0 indicates your thyroid is struggling to produce hormone but NHS won't usually prescribe Levothyroxine until TSH is >6.0.

B12 is good but you should also take a B Complex vitamin to improve folate.

VitD is suboptimal. Most people are comfortable with vitD around 100. Supplement D3 5,000iu daily for 8-12 weeks then reduce to 5,000iu alternate days. Retest in 6 months.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thanks Clutter

I have been supplementing with both B12 & B Complex as advised by Suzi & Greygoose. Not sure why folate is still quite low,

I suspected my Vit D was low & have already purchased them ready to take :-)

If the doc won't medicate thyroid, do you think I should look into self medication?

• Justliloldme,

Perhaps you should supplement folic acid or methylfolate for 3 or months to raise folate.

I would wait and see whether supplementing vitD and folate improves symptoms before self medicating Levothyroxine. If fatigue is one of your symptoms ask your GP to test ferritin or iron.

You may also like...